The Brewers wasted no time getting on the board last night, scoring two runs in the first inning off of Mets starter Bartolo Colon. They added single runs in the fifth and sixth innings as well. It was more than enough to back up Jimmy Nelson, who allowed only a single run in eight innings of work.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers have changed their draft strategy to a riskier strategy in recent years after a safer one didn't produce the results they had hoped for. Noah looks at the change in strategy and the risk/reward potential of the new strategy.
- How sensible is it to look for benefits from failure? Over in the FanPosts, nullacct argues that it is very sensible to try to find some positives from a team that is having a bad season.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com has an update on Khris Davis, who has been in a rehab program since undergoing knee surgery at the beginning of the month. Davis took batting practice for the first time since surgery yesterday, and is expected to be about a week away from a rehab assignment.
- More details has come out in the death of Darryl Hamilton. Adam McCalvy has the most recent update on the shooting that killed Hamilton.
- Adam Lind has been providing some unexpected value against left-handed pitchers, but is the value he is proving enough? Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at Lind's recent performance and asks how the Brewers can get more production out of him.
- A few years ago, Will Smith added a slider to his arsenal, and it has transformed him into a great bullpen pitcher. Ryan Roman of BP Milwaukee looks at how Smith's slider has made him an elite reliever.
- Meanwhile, the same praise cannot be heaped onto the pitching staff as a whole, which has been one of the worst in baseball. J.P. Breen of BP Milwaukee asks if the Brewers pitching staff is really as bad as it appears to be.
- Michael Blazek has been an unexpected boost to the Brewers bullpen this year. Kyle Lesniewski of Reviewing the Brew breaks down Blazek's great season so far.
- What can draft trends tell us about the Brewers expected way of drafting in the future? Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee looks at the Brewers complete history of drafting for trends on what to expect in future drafts.
- Adam Lind received a unique gift in the mail recently: An army shirt from a soldier with the same last name as him. Cait Covers the Bases has the complete story on the gift.
- Currently at Mayfair Mall, there is a display of large-scale LEGO models set up around the mall. Included in those is a LEGO replica of Miller Park. Cait Covers the Bases has the details on how to check out the creation.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox
|Colorado Springs 7, Oklahoma City 6
|Colorado Springs @ Oklahoma City
|Biloxi @ Jacksonville
|Brevard County Manatees
|Lakeland 1, Brevard County 0
|Brevard County @ Daytona
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
|Clinton @ Wisconsin
|DSL Rangers2 3, DSL Brewers 2
|DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves
|Helena 7, Missloula 4
|Helena @ Missoula
|AZL Brewers 9, AZL Padres 4
|AZL Brewers @ AZL Padres
News & Notes
- First-round pick Trent Clark has an old-school approach to his playing style. William Boor of MLB.com recently talked with Clark about how he approaches the game of baseball.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at the AZL Brewers rookie team and provides some quick information on several of the players on the roster.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Dodgers (Carlos Frias) @ Cubs (Jon Lester) - 1:20 pm
- Reds (Anthony DeSclafani) @ Pirates (AJ Burnett) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals (Lance Lynn) @ Marlins (Dan Haren) - 6:10 pm
- Chris Perez has received a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a drug of abuse. This is his second offense under the drug program.
- The Giants placed outfielder Norichika Aoki on the 15-day DL with a fractured right fibula.
- The Phillies placed second baseman Chase Utley on the 15-day DL with an ankle injury.
- The Red Sox optioned RHP Joe Kelly, designated catcher Erik Kratz for assignment, and placed second baseman Dustin Pedroia on the 15-day DL with a hamstring injury.
The Brewers finish up their three-game series against the Mets this afternoon. Taylor Jungmann faces off against Jacob deGrom in today's matinee. First pitch is at 1:10 pm.