After two months of traveling, the Biloxi Shuckers finally have a home, and it will be open tomorrow. A last-minute deal last week salvaged the Shuckers planned home opener of June 6, and the park will finally have its Opening Day tomorrow. The first opponent will be the Mobile Bay Bears, and getting the start will be Tyler Wagner, fresh off of his MLB debut. It should be a very special day for Biloxi.
Despite spending the first two months of the season on the road, the Biloxi Shuckers are 32-21, and the only Brewers affiliate with a winning record at this point in the season. They lead their division by 2.5 games and their league by 1.5 games. The first half of their season ends on June 21, and if they hold their division lead until then, they will claim a playoff berth as first half champions. It would be a massive accomplishment for a team that hasn't played a true home game yet. Let's hope they can keep playing well and get that playoff spot.
The Brewers had the day off.
Brewers News & Notes
- Last week, we asked you to vote for your favorite beer served at Miller Park. We revealed the results yesterday, with Lakefront Riverwest Stein taking the top spot in the rankings. You can view the full results here.
- With the draft approaching, Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com takes a look at the Brewers draft preparations and what to expect from them going into the draft.
- Last year, Kodi Medeiros was the Brewers first-round pick in the draft, and so far he hasn't disappointed in the Brewers system. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has a profile of the Timber Rattlers pitcher and looks at how his first year in the Brewers organization has treated him.
- Continuing in his Smartbuilding series, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker discusses the potential of trading Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Gomez, including what the Brewers should consider and other factors to think about.
- Over on Reviewing the Brew, Pete Schwichtenberg thinks that the Brewers should target Louisville starting pitcher Kyle Funkhouser in the first round.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||21-32||Colorado Springs 7, Fresno 3||
Friday: Fresno @ Colorado Springs
Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Omaha
Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Omaha
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||32-21||Birmingham 6, Biloxi 4||
Friday: Biloxi @ Birmingham
Saturday: Mobile @ Biloxi
Sunday: Mobile @ Biloxi
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||23-30||Dunedin 5, Brevard County 1||
Friday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Saturday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||16-38||Lake County 12, Wisconsin 4||
Friday: Lake County @ Wisconsin
Saturday: Fort Wayne @ Wisconsin
Sunday: Fort Wayne @ Wisconsin
|DSL Brewers||R||1-4||DSL Braves 8, DSL Brewers 1||
Friday: DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers
Saturday: DSL Tigers @ DSL Brewers
News & Notes
- In his Minor Details blog, Jeff Levering discusses Tyler Cravy's impressive debut and also looks at some other impressive performances in the month of May in the minor leagues.
- The Midwest League All-Star Game rosters have been announced. Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that two Timber Rattlers, catcher Carlos Leal and pitcher Cy Sneed, were named to the roster. In other honors, Michael Reed and Jorge Ortega took minor-league player and pitcher of the month honors from the Brewers.
- Also on Miller Park Prospects, Ryan Kaufman has a profile of Colorado Springs catcher Nevin Ashley.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals 7, Dodgers 1
- Cubs 2, Nationals 1
- Reds 6, Phillies 4
- Pirates had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
Cardinals @ Dodgers
Friday: Carlos Martinez vs. Brett Anderson - 9:10 pm
Saturday: Jaime Garcia vs. Clayton Kershaw - 9:10 pm
Sunday: Lance Lynn vs. Zack Greinke - 7:08 pm
Pirates @ Braves
Friday: Charlie Morton vs. Williams Perez - 6:35 pm
Saturday: Jeff Locke vs. Julio Teheran - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Gerrit Cole vs. Alex Wood - 12:35 pm
Cubs @ Nationals
Friday: Tsuyoshi Waba vs. Tanner Roark - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Jason Hammel vs. TBD - 11:05 am
Sunday: Kyle Hendricks vs. TBD - 3:05 pm
- Padres @ Reds
Friday: Tyson Ross vs. Raisel Iglesias - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Odrisamer Despaigne vs. Michael Lorenzen - 3:10 pm
Sunday: Andrew Cashner vs. Johnny Cueto - 12:10 pm
- The Diamondbacks placed RHP Archie Bradley on the 15-day DL with shoulder tendinitis and recalled LHP Robbie Ray.
- RHP David Aardsma of the Dodgers has opted out of his minor-league contract and is now a free agent.
- The Mariners designated outfielder Justin Ruggiano for assignment.
- Orioles catcher Matt Wieters is expected to make his season debut today. Wieters has been recovering from Tommy John surgery last June.
- The Red Sox designated outfielder Carlos Peguero for assignment.
- The Yankees outrighted LHP Matt Tracy.
- An iconic part of Minute Maid Park will disappear after this year. The Astros announced yesterday that they will remove Tal's Hill prior to next season and push the center field fence in.
- The Giants made their visit to the White House yesterday, and Hunter Pence was caught off guard when President Obama referenced some Hunter Pence signs, resulting in a series of pictures with him making different faces.
The Brewers travel to Minnesota for a three-game series against the interleague rival Twins. Here are the starting matchups for the series:
Friday: Kyle Lohse vs. Kyle Gibson - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Matt Garza vs. TBD - 1:10 pm
Sunday: Mike Fiers vs. Mike Pelfrey - 1:10 pm