The MLB Rule 4 Draft (commonly known as the MLB Draft) begins tonight. Only the first and second round of picks will be made tonight, with rounds three through ten taking place tomorrow and the remaining forty rounds on Wednesday. The Brewers will make three selections tonight with the 15th, 40th, and 55th pick in the draft.
As we enter the draft tonight, we don't know what the Brewers are planning to do. There's been plenty of speculation about who the Brewers could take, and Derek combined all of it into a post on Friday. In addition, with new scouting director Ray Montgomery in place, we could see the Brewers take a very different direction from previous years. For now, we will have to wait and see what the Brewers decide to do in the first round tonight.
This Weekend's Results
It was a night for Adam Lind on Friday. He had a home run along with six RBI in the game with a three-hit night, enough to carry the offense by himself. The Brewers did jump out to a 5-0 lead early, but the Twins tied it up in the fifth with a five-run inning of their own. However, the Brewers responded with five more runs to get the win.
Ryan Braun returned to the lineup after missing two games while undergoing a second cryotherapy procedure, but showed no ill-effects from it as he crushed a home run in his first at-bat. Meanwhile, Carlos Gomez had a rough day on defense, but made up for it with a go-ahead RBI single in the seventh inning. It backed up a good day from Matt Garza, who allowed only one run in seven innings.
The sweep just wasn't in the Brewers future on Sunday. Despite getting eight hits and a walk in the game, the Brewers only managed to get to second base once. Mike Fiers didn't have a great day, allowing two runs, seven hits, and three walks in only 4 1/3 innings. While the bullpen locked it down from there, the offense couldn't back them up.
Brewers News & Notes
- Friday's game started a streak of 36 games in the 38 days leading up to the All-Star Break. This stretch will be very tough for the Brewers, as they will play several teams either leading or in second place in their divisions.
- Which Brewer will end up being named as an All-Star for the Brewers? It's very likely that the Brewers will only get one representative this year. Noah thinks that the Brewers one representative will be Francisco Rodriguez.
- Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish notes that with the Mets looking for help to boost their hurting roster, they have shown interest in Aramis Ramirez and Jean Segura.
- We are now one month into Craig Counsell's reign as the Brewers manager. Over in the FanPosts, roguejim looks into that month and draws a few conclusions following the first 31 games of his tenure.
- Prior to Friday's game, Will Smith's suspension for using a foreign substance was reduced to six games. He will be out through the Pirates series and return in time for the homestand that begins on Thursday.
- Betsy Helfand of MLB.com reports that Taylor Jungmann will be recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs tomorrow to make his major-league debut in a start against the Pirates. He will join the team today and officially be activated tomorrow. No corresponding move has been announced yet.
- In the weekend series against the Twins, Craig Counsell had gone from being a fan of Paul Molitor to being his peer as a fellow manager. Betsy Helfand of MLB.com spoke to Counsell about what it means to manage against someone he looked up to as a kid.
- Over on Disciples of Uecker, Nicholas Zettel notes that the 17-inning game against the Diamondbacks has ended up sparking the Brewers pitchers instead of depleting them. He also has a preview of the MLB Draft and makes an argument for a universal DH.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||23-32||
Saturday: Colorado Springs 9, Omaha 7
Sunday: Colorado Springs 4, Omaha 0
|Colorado Springs @ Omaha|
Friday: Biloxi 6, Birmingham 2
Saturday: Biloxi 5, Mobile 4
Sunday: Mobile 4, Biloxi 2
|Mobile @ Biloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||24-31||
Saturday: Brevard County 3, Dunedin 2
Saturday: Dunedin 5, Brevard County 0
|Brevard County @ Palm Beach|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||17-40||
Friday: Lake County 4, Wisconsin 1
Saturday: Wisconsin 4, Fort Wayne 2
Sunday: Fort Wayne 5, Wisconsin 4
|Fort Wayne @ Wisconsin|
Friday: DSL Brewers 13, DSL Braves 7
Saturday: DSL Tigers 4, DSL Brewers 2
|DSL Brewers @ DSL Tigers|
News & Notes
- With Taylor Jungmann's MLB Debut imminent, Ryan Kaufman of Miller Park Prospects wrote up a profile on the starting pitcher.
- Continuing in his series of the top hitters in Brewers minor league history, Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew looks at the 1988 season of Greg Vaughn.
- Also on Reviewing the Brew, Pete Schwichtenberg has a farm report for the Biloxi Shuckers.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals @ Dodgers
Friday: Cardinals 2, Dodgers 1
Saturday: Dodgers 2, Cardinals 0
Sunday: Cardinals 4, Dodgers 2
- Pirates @ Braves
Friday: Padres 10, Braves 8
Saturday: Braves 5, Pirates 4
Sunday: Pirates 3, Braves 0
- Cubs @ Nationals
Friday: Nationals 7, Cubs 5
Saturday: Cubs 4, Nationals 2
Sunday: Cubs 6, Nationals 3
- Padres @ Reds
Friday: Padres 6, Reds 2
Saturday: Padres 9, Reds 7
Sunday: Reds 4, Padres 0
Today's Division Games
- Phillies (Cole Hamels) @ Reds (Mike Leake) - 6:10 pm
- Cardinals (John Lackey) @ Rockies (David Hale) - 7:40 pm
- Cubs have the day off.
- The Athletics called up switch pitcher Pat Venditte.
- The Astros called up top prospect Carlos Correa. They will also promote RHP Vincent Velasquez to start on Wednesday.
- The Braves signed LHP Dana Eveland to a minor-league contract. They also signed RHP David Aardsma to a minor-league deal.
- The Dodgers activated outfielder Yasiel Puig from the 15-day DL and optioned outfielder Scott Schebler.
- The Giants recalled third baseman Casey McGehee and placed relief pitcher Jean Machi on the 15-day DL with a strained left groin.
- The Mets placed second baseman Daniel Murphy on the 15-day DL with a left quadriceps strain and promoted infielder Danny Muno.
- The Nationals recalled RHP Joe Ross and optioned A.J. Cole.
- The Orioles activated catcher Matt Wieters from the 15-day DL, designated infielder Everth Cabrera for assignment, optioned catcher Steve Clevenger and RHP Mike Wright, and recalled infielder Rey Navarro and LHP Cesar Cabral.
- The Reds released RHP Matt Magill. They also designated RHP Jason Marquis for assignment.
- One of the deciding factors in the suspension for Will Smith was the appeal of Orioles reliever Brian Matusz, who was also given a suspension for a foreign substance. While Smith's suspension was reduced, Matusz's suspension was not. Mark Townsend of Big League Stew explains that it is because of a formula that MLB uses when determining suspensions.
- Concern of fan safety has been on the rise, and an incident on Friday where a fan was struck by a bat in the Athletics-Red Sox game has further increased concerns. However, a fire was lit over the weekend as well when a report came out that MLB owners had rejected a proposal to add more protective netting to MLB ballparks, citing concerns about impacting the fan experience. However, as Nathaniel Grow on FanGraphs points out, MLB teams aren't liable for injuries caused by flying bats or balls in games since fans attend at their own risk.
- Prior to Friday's Cardinals-Dodgers game, a family of skunks was discovered in the visitor's dugout, and were allowed to remain in the dugout through the game when efforts to get them out failed.
The Brewers begin a three-game series against the Pirates tonight. Jimmy Nelson matches up against A.J. Burnett in the first game. First pitch is at 6:05 pm. In addition, the first round of the MLB Draft takes place tonight, with coverage starting at 5 pm.