Over the past week, people have been heaping the praise on Brewers prospect Orlando Arcia. On Monday, Baesball Prospectus named Arcia as the 31st best prospect in all of baseball. Then, on Tuesday, Baseball America ranked Arcia even higher, putting him at #8 on their list. This weekend, Arcia will take part in the MLB All-Star festivities by playing in the Futures Game on Sunday. It's been a major rise for the shortstop. Over on Brewers.com, Brandon Curry writes about the story of Orlando Arcia, how he went from a 16-year old kid in Venezuela to the top prospect in the Brewers system. Arcia is playing well enough that he could get a taste of Triple-A before the end of the year, and could be with the Brewers in a year or so. The Brewers have something special in Arcia, now they just have to get him to the majors in the right way.
The Brewers had the day off.
Brewers News & Notes
- Why has Matt Garza been struggling so much this season? Michael Schwarz of BP Milwaukee anaylzes Matt Garza's performance this season to find the root of his problems.
- Gerardo Parra has made the most of his playing time this year as he covered for injuries to all three of the Brewers outfielders. Frank Cesare of Gammons Daily believes that Parra has played his way into being traded to a contending team.
- Adam Lind has done something that the Brewers have needed for a while: stabilize the first base position. Over on BP MIlwaukee, Derek Harvey takes a minute to appreciate Adam Lind.
- The Brewers relievers had a rough start, but have settled down and become a very solid unit. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at the Brewers improved bullpen.
- Cait Coves the Bases notes that the Brewers are offering special college cap style Brewers hats for select games this season as part of a special ticket package.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||33-51||Oklahoma City @ Colorado Springs (PPD)||
Friday: Oklahoma City @ Colorado Springs (DH)
Saturday: Oklahoma City @ Colorado Springs
Sunday: Oklahoma City @ Colorado Springs
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||50-32||Biloxi 8, Tennessee 5||
Friday: Biloxi @ Tennessee
Saturday: Biloxi @ Tennessee
Sunday: Biloxi @ Tennessee
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||35-48||Brevard County 5, Tampa 3||
Friday: Brevard County @ Charlotte
Saturday: Brevard County @ Charlotte
Sunday: Brevard County @ Charlotte
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||28-57||Kane County 13, Wisconsin 2||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
|DSL Brewers||R||14-20||DSL Mets2 11, DSL Brewers 9||
Friday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Mets2
Saturday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Red Sox2
|Helena Brewers||R||7-10||Helena @ Grand Junction (DH, PPD)||
Friday: Helena @ Grand Junction (DH)
Saturday: Helena @ Orem
Sunday: Helena @ Orem
|AZL Brewers||R||7-9||AZL Brewers 18, AZL Indians 4||
Friday: AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers
Saturday: AZL Royals @ AZL Brewers
Sunday: AZL Mariners @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- In last night's AZL Brewers game, Trent Clark hit for the cycle, and Gilbert Lara had a four-hit night.
- Sam Peterson of Miller Park Prospects has a scouting report on Wisconsin center fielder Brandon Diaz.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals 4, Pirates 1
- Marlins 2, Reds 0
- Cubs had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Pirates
Friday: Lance Lynn vs. Gerrit Cole - 6:05 pm
Saturday: John Lackey vs. A.J. Burnett - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Tim Cooney vs. Francisco Liriano - 7:05 pm
- White Sox @ Cubs
Friday: Carlos Rodon vs. Kyle Hendricks - 3:05 pm
Saturday: Chris Sale vs. Jon Lester - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Jose Quintana vs. Jake Arrieta - 1:20 pm
- Reds @ Marlins
Friday: Mike Leake vs. David Phelps - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Anthony DeSclafani vs. Mat Latos - 3:10 pm
Sunday: Johnny Cueto vs. Dan Haren - 12:10 pm
- The Marlins are expected to sign third baseman Casey McGehee today.
- Steven Matz of the Mets will miss at least a month with a partially torn lat muscle.
- The Orioles released outfielder Delmon Young.
- Neftali Feliz of the Rangers has cleared outright waivers and elected to become a free agent.
- This may give you a new appreciation for Bill Murray. While at a golf tournament in Illinois, Bill Murray, a Cubs fan, took a shot at Cardinals fans, calling the team "Satan's messengers on Earth", as well as cheaters.
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers finish up the first half of the season with a trip to Dodgers Stadium, so plan for some late nights. Here are the matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Jimmy Nelson vs. Mike Bolsinger - 9:10 pm
Saturday: Taylor Jungmann vs. TBA - 9:10 pm
Sunday: Kyle Lohse vs. Brett Anderson - 3:10 pm