All it can take to get a winning streak going is a series against the Phillies. They finally were able to have a strong game against Phillies starter Aaron Harang, hitting him for eight runs and fourteen hits in five innings. Meanwhile, Kyle Lohse continued to struggle at the plate, but made up for it a little with a three-hit day at the plate. There was never any doubt in this game as the Brewers built a 6-0 lead by the middle of the third, and never let the lead drop below four runs after that.
Brewers News & Notes
- Jean Segura is one of the Brewers more likely trade candidates as trade season picks up. Yesterday, Noah looked at the potential trade partners for the young Brewers shortstop.
- While Jonathan Lucroy has improved at the plate since his return from the DL, he still hasn't seen the power that he had last year return. Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee analyzes if this is just a cold streak or if it's more indicative of his true ability.
- Getting out of Colorado Springs may have helped Taylor Jungmann more than we realize. Jungmann spoke to Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com about how his mental focus has changed since joining the big-league team.
- Adam McCalvy notes that the Brewers have signed a few more draft picks, including sixth round pick Eric Hanhold. That leaves only Nathan Kirby unsigned from the first 13 picks, and he is expected to sign sometime during the three-game homestand against the Braves.
- We talk about the players that always hurt the Brewers whenever they face those players, but what about the other way around? Enrique Bakemeyer of Reviewing the Brew looks at which teams can't stop some of the current Brewers players.
- One of the disadvantages to the current winning streak the Brewers are on is that it will give them a worse draft spot in next year's draft. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker talks about the benefits of tanking and how it could help the team to lose more games.
- Jonathan Broxton could be a tough piece to move at the trade deadline, but he has more value than his stats suggest. Over on The First Out AT Third, Justin Schultz discusses why other teams should be interested in acquiring Jonathan Broxton.
- In yesterday's game, Kyle Lohse ended up accidentally "tackling" Ryan Howard while running to first. ESPN has a GIF of that.
- While the top prospects are usually the targets in trade talks, that doesn't mean that there isn't talent to be found in the lower part of an organization's top prospects list. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at eight potential trade targets outside most people's radar, but could be a good lottery ticket for the Brewers to acquire.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||31-46||Nashville 2, Colorado Springs 0||Colorado Springs @ Nashville|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||47-27||Biloxi 2, Mississippi 1||Mississippi @ Biloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||32-43||Brevard County 12, Dunedin 3||Brevard County @ Dunedin|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||25-52||Cedar Rapids 3, Wisconsin 2||Wisconsin @ Beloit|
|DSL Brewers||R||10-17||DSL Brewers 4, DSL Marlins 3||DSL Brewers @ DSL Cubs|
|Helena Brewers||R||5-8||Helena 10, Billings 9||Helena @ Billings|
|AZL Brewers||R||4-6||AZL Dodgers 4, AZL Brewers 0||AZL Brewers @ AZL Dodgers|
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that Tyler Cravy was the lone player from the Colorado Springs Sky Sox to be named to the PCL All-Star Team.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Francisco Liriano) @ Tigers (Kyle Ryan) - 12:08 pm
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Mets (Jacob deGrom) - 12:10 pm
- Padres (Tyson Ross) @ Cardinals (Tim Cooney) - 6:15 pm
- Reds have the day off.
- The Angels named Bill Stoneman as their interim GM for the remainder of the season.
- The Blue Jays designated infielder Steve Tolleson for assignment after activating him from the 15-day DL.
- The Orioles designated outfielder Delmon Young for assignment and recalled RHP Tyler Wilson.
- The Twins will promote third base prospect Miguel Sano prior to today's game.
- The Yankees outrighted RHP Esmil Rogers to Triple-A and promoted outfielder Taylor Dugas.
The Brewers wrap up the first half of the season and the four-game series against the Phillies tonight. Matt Garza makes the start against Chad Billingsley as the Brewers try for their first sweep of the season again. First pitch is at 5:35 pm.