Seventy-five and a half hours. That's how long is left until the trade deadline (Friday at 3 pm CDT). Action leading up to the trade deadline is starting to heat up. The trade of Scott Kazmir last week really kicked things off, and since then, Conor Gillespie, Steve Cishek, Juan Uribe, Kelly Johnson, and Johnny Cueto have all been traded. Yesterday, three more trades were added to the list as Tyler Clippard was traded to the Mets, Shane Victorino was traded to the Angels, and then, in the blockbuster move of the day, Troy Tulowitzki was traded to the Blue Jays. All of that happened, and there's still seventy-five and a half hours to go.
Meanwhile, on the Brewers side, there's been a lot of talk, but little action so far. The only trade they have made to this point is the trade of Aramis Ramirez. There definitely hasn't been a lack of rumors, though. Gerardo Parra looks like the most obvious trade candidate, with the Mets, Angels, Orioles, and the dreaded "mystery team" all interested in acquiring him. Meanwhile, Carlos Gomez continues to draw interest from teams, both on the contending and non-contending sides. Adam Lind had been drawing interest, though a recent flare-up of his back may make teams a little more cautious. The Blue Jays are still talking about Mike Fiers. The opportunities for the Brewers to make a trade are out there. It's just a matter of finding the deals that make the most sense for the team.
While the Brewers finally scored for the first time in three games, it wasn't enough to overcome another rough start from Kyle Lohse. He pitched 6 2/3 innings and allowed four runs; it wasn't a terrible start, but it definitely wasn't good, either. Jonathan Lucroy and Khris Davis each had run-scoring hits in the game.
Brewers News & Notes
- Ryan Braun and Adam Lind were both out of the lineup for the game, with Braun being a late scratch after his back tightened. Adam Lind was not starting but available to pinch hit yesterday.
- Derek posted a series preview of the Giants series prior to yesterday's game.
- Carlos Gomez and Craig Counsell both got ejected from yesterday's game. It's nothing new for Gomez, but it is new for Counsell, who was never ejected as a player or manager before yesterday.
- Is Hernan Perez the answer for the Brewers at third base? Andrew Salzman of BP Milwaukee asks that question, looking at the numbers to find out what Perez can be for the Brewers.
- What should be expect the Brewers to acquire in trades that they do make leading up to the deadline. Over on BP Milwaukee, Derek Harvey looks at past Brewers trades to help figure out what the Brewers could do this year.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||41-59||Colorado Springs 2, Omaha 1||Colorado Springs @ New Orleans|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||57-40||OFF||Jackson @ BIloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||43-55||Brevard County 4, Palm Beach 2
Palm Beach 2, Brevard County 1
|Palm Beach @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||34-66||OFF||Peoria @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||21-28||DSL Brewers 7, DSL Pirates 6||DSL Brewers @ DSL Pirates|
|Helena Brewers||R||16-20||Missoula @ Helena (Canceled)||Helena @ Missoula|
|AZL Brewers||R||14-16||AZL Brewers 6, AZL Angels 3||AZL Padres @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that Victor Roache of the Biloxi Shuckers was named the Southern League's player of the week. He also reports that three Helena Brewers were named to the Pioneer League All-Star Team.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Rockies (Yohan Flander) @ Cubs (Dallas Beeler) - 7:05 pm
- Pirates (Charlie Morton) @ Twins (Mike Pelfrey) - 7:10 pm
- Reds (Mike Leake) @ Cardinals (Jaime Garcia) - 7:15 pm
The Brewers continue their three-game series against the Giants this evening. Wily Peralta will make his return from the DL today, and he will face Giants starter Matt Cain. First pitch is at 9:15 pm.