Yesterday, MLB.com released their midseason update to their top 100 prospects list. In the update, two Brewers were listed in the top 100. Orlando Arcia made a massive jump in the rankings, going from #88 to #14 and remaining on top of the Brewers top prosect list. Arcia has seen a major rise in his value this year, as a great season in Biloxi combined has led to more recognition of his ability.
However, the bigger surprise on the list may be the addition of Trent Clark. Not only did Clark get added to the Brewers top ten prospects, he came in as the #2 prospect in the Brewers system right now. In addition, he also made the top 100 list at #88. That is high praise for the high-school draft pick. He still has several years of work ahead of him in the minor leagues, but getting a ranking like that so early is a very good sign.
Here is the updated top 10 list for the Brewers, according to MLB.com (number in parenthesis is preseason rank):
- Orlando Arcia (1)
- Trent Clark (NR)
- Tyrone Taylor (2)
- Gilbert Lara (6)
- Clint Coulter (4)
- Devin Williams (7)
- Jorge Lopez (NR)
- Kodi Medeiros (8)
- Monte Harrison (3)
- Jake Gatewood (5)
Gilbert Lara and Jorge Lopez have both risen in the rankings following good seasons for the AZL Brewers and Biloxi, respectively. On the other side, Monte Harrison and Jake Gatewood have fallen, but that may be due to their rough starts at Wisconsin this year. Dropping out of the top 10 is Taylor Williams, who fell to #13, and Corey Knebel, who graduated to the majors. It's also worth noting that the Brewers second pick from this year's draft, Nathan Kirby, joined the list at #11, and Tyler Wagner, who has made a start for the Brewers this year, comes in at #12.
Gerardo Parra keeps driving his asking price up and up. He went 3-for-4 in yesterday's game, recording a single, double, and triple. He would have had a chance at the cycle had someone got on base in the ninth inning. Meanwhile, Wily Peralta pitched well in his return from the DL, allowing just two runs in six innings of work.
Brewers News & Notes
- Are the Brewers asking for too much for Carlos Gomez? Noah noted yesterday that a report stated the Brewers asking price for Gomez is high, and they would be fine with waiting to trade him for now.
- Prior to yesterday's game, the Brewers activated Wily Peralta from the 15-day DL and optioned David Goforth back to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- Ryan Braun missed a second straight start yesterday with back spasms, and is currently day-to-day as he gets treatment.
- The Brewers have put together a rotation consisting of four homegrown pitchers, something that will hopefully benefit them in the long run. Adam McCalvy of MLB.com talks about the difficulties of developing a rotation of homegrown pitchers.
- As the trade market has heated up, the Brewers have remained quiet. Nathan Petrashek of Cream City Cables wonders if the Brewers are doing enough to trade players before the deadline.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||41-60||New Orleans 5, Colorado Springs 2||Colorado Springs @ New Orleans|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||57-41||Jackson 7, Biloxi 5||Jackson @ Biloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||43-56||Palm Beach 3, Brevard County 1||Palm Beach @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||35-66||Wisconsin 8, Peoria 3||Peoria @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||21-29||DSL Pirates 6, DSL Brewers 4||DSL Brewers @ DSL Yankees2|
|Helena Brewers||R||17-20||Helena 7, Missoula 5||Helena @ Missoula|
|AZL Brewers||R||15-16||AZL Brewers 5, AZL Padres 4||OFF|
News & Notes
- Preparations for the Arizona Fall League are underway, and Biloxi manager Carlos Subero has been selected to lead the team.
NL Central Update
- Reds 4, Cardinals 0
- Pirates 8, Twins 7
- Rockies 7, Cubs 2
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Francisco Liriano) @ Twins (Johan Santana) - 12:10 pm
- Rockies (Eddie Butler) @ Cubs (Jon Lester) - 1:20 pm
- Reds (Anthony DeSclafani) @ Cardinals (John Lackey) - 7:15 pm
- The Angels acquired outfielder David Murphy from the Indiains for minor-league shortstop Eric Stamets. They also acquired David DeJesus from the Rays for minor-league RHP Eduar Lopez.
- The Cardinals activated LHP Jaime Garcia from the 15-day DL and optioned RHP Sam Tuivailala.
- The Marlins activated second baseman Dee Gordon from the disabled list and announced that starting pitcher Henderson Alvarez had season-ending shoulder surgery.
- The Nationals acquired Jonathan Papelbon from the Phillies in exchange for minor-league pitcher Nick Pivetta and cash considerations.
- The Red Sox claimed Jean Machi off of waivers from the Giants.
- The Royals acquired utility player Ben Zobrist from the Athletics for minor-league pitcher pitcher Sean Manaea.
- Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia has been suspended for 162 games for a second positive test for performance-enhancing drugs. He had already been suspended for 80 games this season from his first positive test, and pitched in a total of 7 games from the Mets this season.
- What is the best piece that the Brewers can hope to acquire from each of the NL Central contenders? Quinn Barry of Minor League Ball answers that question, listing the top tradeable minor league prospect for each of the NL contenders.
The Brewers finish up their road trip this afternoon against the GIants. Mike Fiers pitches in the rubber match for the Brewers, and Jake Peavy pitches for the Giants. First pitch is at 2:45 pm.