The Brewers finally got their first series sweep of the season yesterday, but they tried their hardest to avoid it. They did take an early 4-0 lead, but the Phillies responded with two runs off of Garza in the second. An extra run in the third pushed it to 5-2, but the Phillies responded again with two runs in the fourth inning. The Brewers got two more runs in the fifth inning, and the Phillies tied it in the seventh with three runs off of Jonathan Broxton and Will Smith. The game went to extra innings, and Adam Lind knocked in the go-ahead run in the eleventh inning. Francisco Rodriguez came in and pitched a clean inning to secure the Brewers sweep.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers made a few roster moves this morning, sending Jason Rogers and Corey Knebel to Triple-A Colorado Springs and recalling pitchers Tyler Cravy and David Goforth.
- Could Doug Melvin be preparing for a new role in the Brewers organization? Rumors about the possibility came out yesterday, and Noah discussed what the potential plan could look like.
- The international signing period began yesterday, and while the Brewers didn't make a move as big as they made last year, they did sign one player: catcher Jose Sibrian from Venezuela, who was given a $550K bonus.
- Despite his struggles, Craig Counsell still has confidence in Jonathan Broxton. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com notes that the Brewers manager plans to continue using Broxton in meaningful situations.
- How has Ryan Braun changed over the last several years? Over on BP Milwaukee, Seth Victor looks at how Braun's approach has changed in the last few years.
- Just under seven years ago, the Brewers made a massive move on the trade market by acquiring CC Sabathia. Pete Schwichtenberg of Reviewing the Brew looks back at that trade seven years later.
- There's a nervous feeling coming from a lot of people that the Brewers may decide to not rebuild and take another shot next season. Over on BP Milwaukee, Derek Harvey looks at what next year's team could look like if the Brewers don't rebuild this season.
- Is there still hope for Aramis Ramirez to be traded before the deadline? Colin Anderle of BP Milwaukee thinks so, and lays out how he believes it could happen.
- While in Philadelphia, bullpen catcher Marcus Hanel decided to take on his own challenge: breaking the record for cheesesteaks eaten in a four-day series. He finished the series with 23 eaten, easily breaking the previous record of 18 in a four-day series.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||32-46||Colorado Springs 4, Nashville 3||
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Nashville
Saturday: Memphis @ Colorado Springs
Sunday: Memphis @ Colorado Springs
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||48-27||Biloxi 4, Mississippi 1||
Friday: Mississippi @ Biloxi
Saturday: Biloxi @ Montgomery
Sunday: Biloxi @ Montgomery
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||32-44||Dunedin 6, Brevard County 1||
Friday: Brevard County @ Dunedin
Saturday: Clearwater @ Brevard County
Sunday: Clearwater @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||25-53||Beloit 5, Wisconsin 4||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Beloit
Saturday: Beloit @ Wisconsin
Sunday: Beloit @ Wisconsin
|DSL Brewers||R||11-17||DSL Brewers 11, DSL Cubs 6||
Friday: DSL Cubs @ DSL Brewers
Saturday: DSL Pirates @ DSL Brewers
|Helena Brewers||R||5-9||Billings 4, Helena 3||
Friday: Helena @ Billings
Saturday: Helena @ Billings
Sunday: Helena @ Billings
|AZL Brewers||R||4-7||AZL Dodgers 9, AZL Brewers 6||
Saturday: AZL Reds @ AZL Brewers
Sunday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Reds
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects takes a look at several players in the Brewers minor league system who are currently riding hot streaks.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Padres @ Cardinals
Friday: Andrew Cashner vs. Michael Wacha - 7:15 pm
Saturday: Odrisamer Despaigne vs. Carlos Martinez - 1:15 pm
Sunday: Ian Kennedy vs. Lance Lynn - 1:15 pm
- Indians @ Pirates
Friday: Trevor Bauer vs. Charlie Morton - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Cody Anderson vs. Jeff Locke - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Danny Salazar vs. Gerrit Cole - 12:35 pm
- Marlins @ Cubs
Friday: Tom Koehler vs. Jason Hammel - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Jarred Cosart vs. Donn Roach - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Mat Latos vs. Kyle Hendricks - 1:20 pm
- George Springer of the Astros is expected to miss six weeks with a broken wrist that he sustained when he was hit by a pitch in Wednesday night's game.
- The Blue Jays designated RHP Todd Redmond for assignment.
- The Dodgers designated reliever Brandon League for assignment. They also signed RHP Trevor Cahill to a minor-league contract.
- The Mariners signed catcher Eric Kratz to a minor-league deal. They also designated utility player Willie Bloomquist for assignment.
- The Orioles signed RHP Chris Perez to a minor-league deal.
- The Phillies placed pitcher Aaron Harang on the 15-day DL with planar fasciitis.
- The Rangers activated RHP Neftali Feliz from the 15-day DL and optioned pitcher Nick Martinez.
- The Cardinals made a big move yesterday as they fired scouting director Chris Correa for his role in the Astros hacking scandal. The investigation into the data breach is still ongoing.
The Brewers head to Cincinnati for a three-game series against the Reds over the holiday weekend. Here are the starting matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Mike Fiers vs. Michael Lorenzen - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Jimmy Nelson vs. Josh Smith - 6:15 pm
Sunday: Taylor Jungmann vs. Mike Leake - 12:10 pm