Well, the winning streak eventually had to come to an end. Bad Kyle Lohse showed up (or maybe it was the normal Kyle Lohse, it's hard to tell anymore), allowing four runs in five innings, all of those runs coming in the first two innings. The offense wasn't able to cover this time, with Gerardo Parra hitting a solo home run and the team scoring single runs in a few innings.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers made a surprise move prior to yesterday's game, placing Matt Garza on the 15-day DL with shoulder tendinitis. Corey Knebel was recalled to fill Garza's roster spot, and Tyler Cravy will take Garza's spot in the rotation for now.
- The All-Star Game reserves and pitchers were announced last night, and Francisco Rodriguez made the team as the Brewers lone representative.
- Baseball Prospectus released their midseason list of top prospects yesterday, and Orlando Arcia had moved up to #31 in their top-50 rankings. There had been a lot of room for him to move up after other prospects graduated to the majors earlier this season.
- Prior to last night's game, Derek posted a series preview for the Brewers-Braves series.
- During last night's game, a fan was injured by a line drive foul ball hit into the stands. The fans was eventually able to walk off under her own power and was taken for further tests.
- Aramis Ramirez was named player of the week for last week for his performance that helped lead the Brewers to a 7-0 week.
- The Brewers have been on a nice winning streak before yesterday's game, but what played into that? J.P. Breen of BP Milwaukee analyzes the winning streak and believes that the Brewers were more lucky than anything else.
- Despite the rough season, there's still some joy to be found in watching the Brewers. Jack Moore of BP Milwaukee finds it from watching Ryan Braun, who is returning to his old form.
- Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish notes that, with the Giants hurting in the outfield right now, they have shown some interest in acquiring Gerardo Parra, which may be possible for them now that he is not controlled by a division rival.
- Matt Goldman of MLB Daily Dish previews the trade deadline for the Brewers, looking at who could be traded in the upcoming weeks.
- What should you expect the Brewers to do at the trade deadline? Michael Bradburn of BP Milwaukee is taking the doom and gloom route, believing that very little will happen at the deadline for the Brewers.
- One of the pieces that could be traded soon is Adam Lind. Dave Cameron of FanGraphs analyzes the pros and cons of acquiring Adam Lind, saying that he's a good player to acquire if a team knows how to use him properly.
- As part of his smartbuilding series, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at major trades in 2011 & 2012, as well as the difference between midseason and offseason trades.
- The monthly and series specials are back at Miller Park with this homestand. The series special for the Braves is a chicken & waffle sandwich, and AJ Bombers is offering a "Scooter Gennett burger" this month.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||32-50||Memphis 12, Colorado Springs 4||Memphis @ Colorado Springs|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||49-30||Montgomery 5, Biloxi 1||Biloxi @ Montgomery|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||33-47||Clearwater 3, Brevard County 0||Brevard County @ Tampa|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||28-54||Wisconsin 5, Kane County 4||Kane County @ Wisconsin|
|DSL Brewers||R||13-18||DSL Pirates 3, DSL Brewers 1||DSL Brewers @ DSL Yankees2|
|Helena Brewers||R||7-10||OFF||Helena @ Grand Junction|
|AZL Brewers||R||6-8||AZL Brewers 7, AZL White Sox 4||AZL White Sox @ AZL Brewers|
News & Notes
- Clint Coulter was named the player of the week in the Florida State League for last week.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cardinals (Tyler Lyons) @ Cubs (Jake Arrieta) - 12:20 pm
- Cardinals (Tim Cooney) @ Cubs (Dallas Beeler) - 7:05 pm
- Reds (Johnny Cueto) @ Nationals (Max Scherzer) - 6:05 pm
- Padres (Tyson Ross) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- The Phillies outrighted RHP Sean O'Sullivan and recalled RHP Hector Neris.
- The Pirates placed third baseman Josh Harrison on the 15-day DL with a left thumb injury and added first baseman Travis Ishikawa off of waivers.
- The Royals placed third baseman Mike Moustakas on the bereavement list, designated reliever Jason Frasor for assignment, and recalled infielder Cheslor Cuthbert and outfielder Paulo Orlando.
- Starting pitcher Ricky Nolasco of the Twins will undergo surgery on his right ankle and miss an additional six to eight weeks.
The Brewers will look to rebound from yesterday's loss in today's game against the Braves. Tyler Cravy will make his second start of the year for the Brewers, and he will face Manny Banuelos, who is making his second major league start. First pitch is at 7:05 pm.