In Tyler Cravy's return to the rotation, it didn't go the way he hoped it would. After keeping the Cardinals off the board for four innings, the Cardinals scored six in the fifth off of Cravy to account for all of the runs in the game. Meanwhile, the Brewers managed only six hits in the game, three of those coming from Shane Peterson.
As bad as it was on Friday night, the offense got worse on Saturday. The Brewers managed only two hits and five walks against the Cardinals pitching staff. The Cardinals scored early with a leadoff home run, though were held to three runs by Brewers starter Wily Peralta.
The Brewers managed to get to Cardinals starter John Lackey early, scoring three runs on two home runs in the third inning to take a 3-0 lead. Meanwhile, Jimmy Nelson held the Cardinals scoreless for five innings before allowing a run in the sixth. He came back out for the seventh and allowed a three-run home run to Matt Carpenter, giving the Cardinals the lead. However, Khris Davis responded with a two-run home run in the eighth to save the Brewers are salvage a game in the series.
Brewers News & Notes
- The Brewers recalled Jason Rogers from Colorado Springs on Friday and outrighted Hector Gomez to the Sky Sox. Gomez had very limited playing time this season with the Brewers, and Rogers should bring some extra help for the bench.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com notes that the Brewers will continue to use Kyle Lohse in the bullpen after (likely) not finding a taker for him on waivers.
- How valuable is Jean Segura's glove? Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee analyzes the value that Jean Segura brings to the Brewers on defense.
- What would have happened if the Brewers had claimed pitcher David Cone off of waivers in 1992?That's what Jack Moore of BP Milwaukee asks as he looks at what could have happened that year.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||47-66||
Friday: Colorado Springs 6, Oklahoma City 3
Saturday: Colorado Springs 3, Oklahoma City 2
Sunday: Oklahoma City 4, Colorado Springs 1
Friday: Mississippi 7, Biloxi 0
Saturday: Mississippi 2, Biloxi 1
Sunday: Biloxi 7, Mississippi 6
|Mississippi @ Biloxi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||47-63||
Friday: Dunedin 4, Brevard County 1
Saturday: Dunedin 3, Brevard County 2
Sunday: Dunedin 7, Brevard County 6
|Brevard County @ Tampa|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||38-74||
Friday: Great Lakes 5, Wisconsin 2
Saturday: Wisconsin 5, Great Lakes 3
Sunday: Great Lakes 4, Wisconsin 3
Friday: DSL Braves 5, DSL Brewers 3
Saturday: DSL Braves 7, DSL Brewers 4
|DSL Tigers @ DSL Brewers|
Friday: Idaho Falls 8, Helena 7
Saturday: Idaho Falls 9, Helena 8
Sunday: Helena 10, Idaho Falls 8
|Ogden @ Helena|
Friday: AZL Brewers 7, AZL Dodgers 5
Sunday: AZL Reds 6, AZL Brewers 1
|AZL Brewers @ AZL Reds|
News & Notes
- Following the trades last week, Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has an updated list of the top 40 prospects in the organization.
- Over on The First Out At Third, Justin Schultz has a profile of what the Brewers are getting in Zach Davies.
- Adam McCalvy reports that Brewers prospect Taylor Williams will undergo Tommy John surgeryfollowing an unsuccessful attempt to repair a ligament injury through rehab.
NL Central Update
- Dodgers @ Pirates
Friday: Pirates 5, Dodgers 4
Saturday: Pirates 6, Dodgers 5
Sunday: Pirates 13, Dodgers 6
- Giants @ Cubs
Friday: Cubs 7, Giants 3
Saturday: Cubs 8, Giants 6
Sunday: Cubs 2, Giants 0
- Reds @ Diamondbacks
Friday: Diamondbacks 2, Reds 0
Saturday: Reds 4, Diamondbacks 1
Sunday: Diamondbacks 4, Reds 3
Today's Division Games
- Reds @ Padres - 9:10 pm
- Cardinals, Pirates, and Cubs have the day off.
- The Braves acquired outfielder Michael Bourn and outfielder Nick Swisher from the Indians for third baseman Chris Johnson and cash.
- The Blue Jays acquired Cliff Pennington and cash from the Diamondbacks for minor-league shortstop Dawel Lugo.
- The Marlins are expected to place starting pitcher Jose Ferandez on the 15-day DL with a right biceps strain.
- The Nationals placed Dan Uggla on the 15-day DL with back spasms.
- The Rangers acquired Mike Napoli from the Red Sox for a PTBNL or cash.
- Wrigley Field was evacuated following Sunday's game after a bomb threat was called in. The stadium was eventually declared safe after the stadium was checked.
- A minor league game between the Tampa Yankees and Clearwater Threshers was postponed on Friday because a circus tent that had been set up in a nearby parking lot was deemed too distracting to play a game.
The Brewers have the day off today. They return to the field tomorrow for a quick three game road trip to Chicago against the Cubs.