Home runs have hurt the Brewers pitching staff this season, and they were in full effect on Thursday afternoon. The Cubs hit five home runs to account for seven of their nine runs. The Brewers did manage nine hits and had a four stolen base inning, but couldn't turn that into much on the scoreboard.
Brewers News & Notes
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com reports that the Brewers have started their GM search with a list of internal candidates from Doug Melvin. Meanwhile, assistant GM Gord Ash is unsure of what his role with the Brewers will be moving forward.
- Mike Bates of MLB Daily Dish says that there should be no shame between the Brewers and Doug Melvin because the market realities for the team are harsh.
- Over on Just a Bit Outside, Dave Cameron says that Doug Melvin's downfall can be traced to three key mistakes he made while running the team.
- Enrique Bakemeyer of The Brewers Bar looks at the different ways to rate Doug Melvin's tenure as GM. Meanwhile, Nick Michalski says that the change at GM represents a paradigm shift for the Brewers.
- Over on BP Milwaukee, Derek Harvey looks at the draft success that the Brewers had under former scouting director Bruce Seid and GM Doug Melvin.
- In Wednesday's game, Ryan Braun's home run was the 250th of his career. It put him just one short of Robin Yount's team record.
- In Thursday's game, the Brewers stole four bases in an inning. Noah used this opportunity to write about the best base stealers in the history of the Brewers.
- Tyler Cravy had another rough start in yesterday's game against the Cubs. Adam McCalvy reports that Counsell will keep Cravy in the rotation for now, but also notes that Zach Davies could see some time in the rotation before the end of the year.
- This season has been challenging for catcher Jonathan Lucroy. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that while Lucroy is fine physically, his mental state this season has been a different story.
- In the last season, the extra power from Jean Segura's bat has disappeared. Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how the extra base hits have not been coming for Segura.
- Johnny Hellweg continues with his rehab in the minors, and took a step forward in his most recent start. McCalvy reports that Hellweg hit 98 mph on the radar gun in his most recent start, and appears to be headed to the Arizona Fall League.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker has a midseason top 15 prospect update.
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has two Brewers prospects in his list of ten draft picks that has had impressive starts to their professional careers.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||49-69||Round Rock 4, Colorado Springs 3
Colorado Springs 9, Round Rock 2
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Round Rock
Saturday: Reno @ Colorado Springs
Sunday: Reno @ Colorado Springs
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||66-48||Biloxi 6, Pensacola 5||
Friday: Pensacola @ Biloxi
Saturday: Pensacola @ Biloxi
Sunday: Pensacola @ Biloxi
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||49-65||Brevard County 4, Dunedin 3||
Friday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Saturday: Dunedin @ Brevard County
Sunday: Daytona @ Brevard County
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||39-76||West Michigan 7, Wisconsin 3||
Friday: South Bend @ Wisconsin
Saturday: South Bend @ Wisconsin
Sunday: South Bend @ Wisconsin
|DSL Brewers||R||29-35||DSL Brewers 6, DSL Marlins 5||
Friday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Cubs
Saturday: DSL Cubs @ DSL Brewers
Friday: Helena @ Idaho Falls
Saturday: Helena @ Idaho Falls
Sunday: Helena @ Idaho Falls
Friday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Indians
Saturday: AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers
Sunday: AZL Giants @ AZL Brewers
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers return home from a quick road trip to face the Phillies in a weekend series at Miller Park. Here are the starting matchups:
Friday: Adam Morgan vs. Wily Peralta - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Jerome Williams vs. Jimmy Nelson - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Aaron Harang vs. Taylor Jungmann - 1:10 pm