This Weekend's Results
Wily Peralta put together a nice start against the Phillies, pitching seven shutout innings and allowing only six hits and two walks. Khris Davis hit a solo home run to put the Brewers on the board, and added two more in the third inning. The lone Phillies run came in the ninth as Francisco Rodriguez pitched for the save.
It was Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura providing the offense in this game. Gennett put together four hits and two RBI, and Jean Segura also had an RBI single and scored a run. Meanwhile, Jimmy Nelson continued his solid run of of pitching, allowing two runs on five hits and six strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings pitched.
Taylor Jungmann rebounded from his last start with a strong one on Sunday. He pitched 6 1/3 scoreless innings, striking out nine batters in the game, including striking out the side in the first and third innings on a total of 21 pitches. Meanwhile, Ryan Braun tied the franchise lead for home runs with his 251st on Sunday, a grand slam that accounted for most of the Brewers offense.
Brewers News & Notes
- Michael Blazek ended up on the 15-day DL on Friday with a right hand fracture. It is uncertain at this time if Blazek will pitch again this season, but it doesn't look likely. David Goforth was recalled from Colorado Springs to fill Blazek's roster spot.
- After Blazek injured his hand, he said that he is not sure how his hand was fractured, but it wasn't because of frustration after giving up a game-winning home run to the Cubs on Wednesday. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has the full story.
- The Brewers inducted Teddy Higuera into the Miller Park Walk of Fame on Friday. Higuera played for the Brewers for nine years and is third in career wins and strikeouts for the team.
- When the report that the Brewers were beginning the search for a new GM came out, the news got mixed up in several different ways, with reports saying that he had been fired, forced out, or just stepped aside immediately. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel clears up the confusion on Doug Melvin's status and talks about the upcoming transition process.
- Over the weekend, David Denson of the rookie-affiliate Helena Brewers revealed that he is gay in an article published by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Denson is the first player in affiliated professional baseball to reveal that he is gay.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||51-69||
Friday: Colorado Springs 8, Round Rock 5
Saturday: Colorado Springs 7, Reno 1
|Reno @ Colorado Springs (DH)|
Friday: Pensacola 1, Biloxi 0
Saturday: Pensacola 2, Biloxi 1
Sunday: Biloxi 5, Pensacola 3
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||49-67||
Friday: Dunedin 2, Brevard County 0
Sunday: Daytona 4, Brevard County 0
|Brevard County @ Daytona (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||40-78||
Friday: South Bend 12, Wisconsin 2
Saturday: Wisconsin 4, South Bend 3
Sunday: South Bend 4, Wisconsin 1
Friday: DSL Brewers 9, DSL Cubs 4
Saturday: DSL Cubs 4, DSL Brewers 2
|DSL Pirates1 @ DSL Brewers|
Saturday: Idaho Falls 8, Helena 7
Saturday: Idaho Falls 6, Helena 1
Sunday: Idaho Falls 6, Helena 5
|Helena @ Ogden|
Friday: AZL Brewers 7, AZL Indians 3
Saturday: AZL Indians 5, AZL Brewers 3
Sunday: AZL Giants 4, AZL Brewers 3
|AZL Brewers @ AZL Athletics|
NL Central Update
- Cubs @ White Sox
Friday: Cubs 6, White Sox 5
Saturday: Cubs 6, White Sox 3
Sunday: White Sox 3, Cubs 1
- Pirates @ Mets
Friday: Pirates 3, Mets 2
Saturday: Pirates 5, Mets 3
Sunday: Pirates 8, Mets 1
- Marlins @ Cardinals
Friday: Cardinals 3, Marlins 1
Saturday: Cardinals 6, Marlins 2
Sunday: Marlins 6, Cardinals 4
- Reds @ Dodgers
Friday: Dodgers 5, Reds 3
Saturday: Dodgers 8, Reds 3
Sunday: Dodgers 2, Reds 1
Today's Division Games
- Diamondbacks (Jeremy Hellickson) @ Pirates (Gerrit Cole) - 6:05 pm
- Giants (Chris Heston) @ Cardinals (Michael Wacha) - 7:09 pm
- Cubs and Reds have the day off.
The Brewers finish up their homestand with a three-game series against the Marlins. The series begins tonight with Matt Garza facing Justin Nicolino. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.