Matt Garza went back to his old ways last night, allowing five runs in five innings of work. It was too much for the Brewers offense to overcome, as they managed only two runs on seven hits. Ryan Braun led the offense with two hits and an RBI, and Jean Segura was the only other Brewer with multiple hits.
Brewers News & Notes
- Prior to yesterday's game, Derek posted a series preview on the Brewers-Marlins series.
- Over in the FanPosts, GoldenFrank takes a look at some old Brewers players that happened to appear at a minor-league game he recently attended. Also in the FanPosts, nullacct looked at players who could consistently hit for power and run the bases, but it devolved into a picture of cats playing baseball.
- Kyle Lohse gave up a run last night as he continues to adjust to life in the bullpen. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com looks at the adjustments Lohse has had to make coming out of the bullpen.
- Over on BP Milwaukee, Derek Harvey looks at who the most probable September call-ups for this year will be. Also, Julien Assouline looks at Doug Melvin's success rate in Brewers drafts.
- Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at some strike zone maps for Jonathan Lucroy to help figure out why Lucroy has been having a down year at the plate.
- Former Brewers manager Ron Roenicke is back in the majors as the third base coach for the Dodgers. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com notes that several players are happy that Roenicke got another job in the majors.
- Fan appreciation week is set for September 18-20 against the Reds this year. Cait Covers The Bases has all of the details on this year's event.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||51-71||Reno 3, Colorado Springs 2
Reno 7, Colorado Springs 3
|Reno @ Colorado Springs|
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||67-50||OFF||Biloxi @ Jackson|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||50-67||Brevard County 3, Daytona 0||Daytona @ Brevard County|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||40-78||OFF||Wisconsin @ Quad Cities|
|DSL Brewers||R||30-37||DSL Pirates 7, DSL Brewers 3||DSL Brewers @ DSL Pirates|
|Helena Brewers||R||19-34||Ogden 7, Helena 2||Helena @ Ogden|
|AZL Brewers||R||21-26||AZL Athletics 6, AZL Brewers 3||OFF|
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that Colorado Springs shortstop Luis Sardinas was named the Pacific Coast League's Player of the Week.
- Over on FanGraphs, Chris Mitchell looks at what David Denson's chances of making it to the majors are, based on his numbers from the minors so far.
- Yesterday, ESPN released a documentary on the Biloxi Shuckers, focusing on how a team came to Biloxi and the two-month road trip the Shuckers had to start the season.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Diamondbacks (Chase Anderson) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Royals (Edinson Volquez) @ Reds (Raisel Iglesias) - 6:10 pm
- Tigers (Anibal Sanchez) @ Cubs (Jason Hammel) - 7:05 pm
- Giants (Ryan Vogelsong) @ Cardinals (Lance Lynn) - 7:15 pm
- The Blue Jays optioned starting pitcher Drew Hutchinson to Triple-A Buffalo (showing that teams don't care as much about win-loss records anymore).
- The Cardinals placed outfielder Randal Grichuk on the 15-day DL with a right elbow strain.
Still looking for his first major league win, Tyler Cravy makes his fifth start of the season tonight for the Brewers. Opposing for the Marlins is left-handed pitcher Adam Conley. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.