This Weekend's Results
Matt Garza didn't have his best day on Saturday. The Cubs scored four runs off of him in six innings, with all of the runs coming on home runs. Anthony Rizzo hit a three-run shot in the third, and Kyle Schwarber also had a solo home run. The Brewers managed just two runs on five hits, one scoring on a Khris Davis RBI single and the other no a Jean Segura RBI groundout.
Kyle Lohse was himself yesterday afternoon, which means it was another rough start. He allowed four runs in 4 1/3 innings, with the Cubs scoring single runs in the first, second, fourth, and fifth innings. The Brewers got a run in the second on a RBI groundout, but didn't do much else until the ninth inning. The Brewers got two runners to start the inning, and then RBI hits from Elian Herrera and Hernan Perez made it 4-3. However, that was all the Brewers could do.
Brewers News & Notes
- After another rough start, the Brewers may finally be considering a change in the rotation with Kyle Lohse. Brandon Curry of MLB.com reports that the Brewers are considering a change with Lohse, and Counsell didn't commit to Lohse making his next start.
- With Carlos Gomez and Gerardo Parra gone, Khris Davis will get a chance to solidify his position on the team with regular starting time over the next two months. Brandon Curry of MLB.com notes that while Counsell isn't committing to Davis, he says that Davis will get plenty of playing time.
- Are fans ready for a rebuilding process similar to what the Cubs went through? Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asks if fans would be willing to watch a rebuilding process that could take several years.
- Over on The First Out At Third, Justin Schultz takes a look at the players acquired in the Carlos Gomez/Mike Fiers trade.
- The Scooter Gennett gnome has been revealed, and Cait Covers the Bases has a picture of the gnome.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||43-63||
Saturday: Iowa 13, Colorado Springs 8
Sunday: Iowa 9, Colorado Springs 7
|Iowa @ Colorado Springs|
Saturday: Biloxi 2, Jackson 0
Sunday: Mobile 3, Biloxi 2
|Biloxi @ Mobile|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||45-59||
Saturday: Brevard County 6, Jupiter 3
Saturday: Jupiter 4, Brevard County 2
Sunday: Brevard County 5, Jupiter 4
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||36-70||
Saturday: Quad Cities 5, Wisconsin 0
Sunday: Quad Cities 6, Wisconsin 1
|DSL Brewers||R||23-31||Saturday: DSL Brewers 4, DSL Mets2 1||DSL Brewers @ DSL Red Sox2|
Saturday: Great Falls 6, Helena 4
Sunday: Helena 7, Great Falls 6
Saturday: AZL Brewers 4, AZL D-backs 2
Saturday: AZL D-backs 7, AZL Brewers 3
Sunday: AZL Rangers 2, AZL Brewers 1
News & Notes
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has a complete list of transactions in the Brewers minor league system over the month of July.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jon Lester) @ Pirates (Francisco Liriano) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals and Reds have the day off.
- The Rays recalled outfielder Grazy Sizemore and optioned outfielder Mikie Mahtook. They also placed outfielder Steven Souza on the 15-day DL, and sent starting pitcher Matt Moore to the minors.
- The Red Sox placed starting pitcher Rick Porcello on the 15-day DL with soreness and inflammation in his triceps.
- A.J. Burnett may have pitched his last game in baseball. After feeling some elbow pain on Thursday night, the Pirates placed him on the 15-day DL, and Burnett does not want to undergo a procedure to fix the problem. Burnett had planned to retire at the end of the season.
- After being traded at the deadline, Dan Haren of the Cubs says that he will likely retire at the end of the 2015 season.
- Quinn Barry of Minor League Ball graded all of the trade deadline deals, giving the Brewers good marks in all of their trades.
- Finally, some sad news from the weekend. A young bat boy died from injuries sustained after he was hit in the head by a bat in a National Baseball Congress World Series game on Saturday.
The Brewers begin a four-game series against the Padres this afternoon. In game one, Tyson Ross faces Wily Peralta. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.