This Weekend's Results
Taylor Jungmann followed up a bad start with a good one. He pitched six scoreless innings, allowing only three hits and three runs. It backed up a good offensive performance from the Brewers, who took an early 2-0 lead on RBI hits from Jonathan Lucroy and Khris Davis. Domingo Santana added his third home run as a Brewer, and Adam Lind also drove in a pair of runs.
Matt Garza had another rough start, putting the Brewers in a 7-3 hole with seven runs allowed in 3.2 innings pitched. However, the Brewers offense responded and picked him up, taking a 9-8 lead after five innings. Scooter Gennett had a four hit day, while Jean Segura had three hits. Francisco Rodriguez came in for the ninth, but blew his first save of the year, allowing four runs.
Wily Peralta has had a few rough starts lately, but he finally got things back together on Sunday. In seven innings, he allowed just a single run without a walk and with six strikeouts. Ryan Braun got the scoring started early with a solo home run, then added on with a Jonathan Lucroy RBI and two more runs in the eighth.
Brewers News & Notes
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that Francisco Rodriguez was placed on revocable waivers, but claimed and pulled back.
- Matt Garza has continued to struggle since his return from the disabled list. Andrew Gruman of MLB.com reports that Garza will remain in the rotation for now, but his next start may be pushed back. Meanwhile, Garza hopes to pitch through his recent struggles and figure out what his problem is.
- How much is there to be concerned about with Jonathan Lucroy's bad year? Derek Harvey of BP Milwaukee believes that there is reason to believe that Lucroy will regain his form.
- In the wake of the firing of GM Jack Zduriencik, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker compared the tenures of Zduriencik and Doug Melvin between 2009 and 2015.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||58-77||
Friday: Colorado Springs 8, Albuquerque 2
Saturday: Albuquerque 6, Colorado Springs 5
Sunday: Colorado Springs 5, Albuquerque 4
|Omaha @ Colorado Springs|
Friday: Mississippi 7, Biloxi 1
Saturday: Mississippi 8, Biloxi 2
Sunday: Biloxi 4, Mississippi 3
|Biloxi @ Mississippi|
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||54-74||
Friday: Clearwater 2, Brevard County 1
Friday: Clearwater 7, Brevard County 0
Saturday: Brevard County 4, Clearwater 4
|Lakeland @ Brevard County (DH)|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||48-83||
Saturday: Beloit 2, Wisconsin 1
Sunday: Wisconsin 6, Clinton 3
|Wisconsin @ Clinton|
Saturday: Helena 9, Billings 0
Sunday: Helena 4, Billings 2
|Billings @ Helena|
Saturday: AZL Indians 6, AZL Brewers 1
||End of Season|
News & Notes
- Alex M. Smith of MLB.com notes that Trent Clark had a 4-for-4 day with 3 RBI on Friday night, in his second game with the Helena Brewers.
- Brewers second pick Nathan Kirby will undergo Tommy John surgery, ending his season.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals @ Giants
Friday: Giants 5, Cardinals 4
Saturday: Cardinals 6, Giants 0
Sunday: Cardinals 7, Giants 5
- Rockies @ Pirates
Friday: Pirates 5, Rockies 3
Saturday: Pirates 4, Rockies 3
Sunday: Rockies 5, Pirates 0
- Cubs @ Dodgers
Friday: Dodgers 4, Cubs 1
Saturday: Dodgers 5, Cubs 2
Sunday: Cubs 2, Dodgers 0
Today's Division Games
- Reds (Michael Lorenzen) @ Cubs (Kyle Hendricks) - 7:05 pm
- Nationals (Gio Gonzalez) @ Cardinals (John Lackey) - 7:15 pm
- Pirates have the day off.
- The Astros placed catcher Jason Castro on the 15-day DL with a strained right quadriceps muscle and recalled catcher Max Stassi.
- The Dodgers placed outfielder Yasiel Puig on the 15-day DL with a hamstring strain and recalled infielder Jose Peraza.
- The Giants placed RHP Matt Cain on the 15-day DL with irritation in his pitching elbow and recalled rookie starter Chris Heston.
- The Mets acquired reliever Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks for minor-league pitchers Matt Koch and Miller Diaz.
- The Dodgers announced that long-time radio broadcaster Vin Scully will return for his 67th season in the booth.
- Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta threw a no-hitter on Sunday night. It was the sixth no-hitter of the season, and third of the month of August.
The Brewers have the day off. They return to action tomorrow to face the Pirates.