Khris Davis and Matt Garza were the stars of the day yesterday. Khris Davis had two three-run home runs in a 3-for-5 day, easily pacing the Brewers offense. Meanwhile, Garza posted another solid outing, allowing just one run in seven innings. Since his return, Garza has posted a 2.55 ERA in 4 starts covering 24.2 IP, with a 19/11 K/BB rate.
Brewers News & Notes
- We've been waiting for this move for a while, and yesterday, the Brewers finally pulled the trigger on it. The Brewers took Kyle Lohse out of the starting rotation and placed Tyler Cravy in it, and he will make his first start in the rotation today against the Cardinals. Cravy earned his chance at the rotation with a good season at Colorado Springs and a few good appearances with the Brewers so far. Meanwhile, Kyle Lohse will head to the bullpen for now, and the Brewers are considering their options, which include trading or releasing Lohse.
- Taylor Jungmann has put together a fantastic season, and it continued on Wednesday with another strong start. If he keeps this pace up, he could end up with one of the best seasons by a Brewers rookie pitcher in franchise history.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com believes that the performance of Taylor Jungmann and Jimmy Nelson this season is a glimpse into a potential bright future for the two young players and for the Brewers.
- Paul Sporer of RotoGraphs analyzes Taylor Jungmann's performance so far, and predicts what his future stats will look like.
- Over on Disciples of Uecker, Nicholas Zettel takes a look at how Jimmy Nelson attacks hitters with his pitching approach.
- Nick Michalski of The Brewers Bar believes that the Brewers and Reds have a similar battle ahead of them in the upcoming months and years.
- How has the Brewers payroll grown over the years? Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee looks at how the Brewers have increased player salaries in the last several years.
- In his GM Confidence Ratings on MLB Daily Dish, Mike Bates rated Doug Melvin at 2/5, saying that while he did well at the trade deadline, his history casts doubts on his ability to build a franchise. However, fans were more optimistic, giving him a 3.9/5.
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox||AAA||45-65||Colorado Springs 6, Oklahoma City 3||
Friday: Colorado Springs @ Oklahoma City
Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Oklahoma City
Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Oklahoma City
|Biloxi Shuckers||AA||62-45||Mobile 4, Biloxi 2||
Friday: Mississippi @ Biloxi
Saturday: Mississippi @ Biloxi
Sunday: Mississippi @ Biloxi
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||47-60||Brevard County 2, Tampa 1||
Friday: Brevard County @ Dunedin
Saturday: Brevard County @ Dunedin
Sunday: Brevard County @ Dunedin
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||37-72||Wisconsin 6, Lansing 3||
Friday: Wisconsin @ Great Lakes
Saturday: Wisconsin @ Great Lakes
Sunday: Wisconsin @ Great Lakes
|DSL Brewers||R||25-33||DSL Brewers 6, DSL Rangers2 3||
Friday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves
Saturday: DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves
|Helena Brewers||R||18-25||Idaho Falls 8, Helena 5||
Friday: Idaho Falls @ Helena
Saturday: Idaho Falls @ Helena
Sunday: Idaho Falls @ Helena
|AZL Brewers||R||18-20||AZL Dodgers 8, AZL Brewers 3||
Friday: AZL Brewers @ AZL Dodgers
Sunday: AZL Reds @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- On Wednesday, LHP Brent Suter was promoted from Biloxi to Colorado Springs, and RHP Dave Gagnon was sent down from Colorado Springs to Biloxi.
- On his Minor Details blog, Jeff Levering discusses some of the recent debuts by Brewers trade acquisitions & draft picks, as well as the monthly award winners.
- The Shuck Dynasty blog has an interview with new Biloxi Shucker Josh Hader.
NL Central Update
- Cardinals 3, Reds 0
- Cubs 5, Giants 4
- Pirates had the day off.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Dodgers @ Pirates
Friday: Clayton Kershaw vs. Gerrit Cole - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Mat Latos vs. Francisco Liriano - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Alex Wood vs. Charlie Morton - 7:08 on
Giants @ Cubs
Friday: Ryan Vogelsong vs. Jon Lester - 3:05 pm
Saturday: Matt Cain vs. Kyle Hendricks - 3:05 pm
Sunday: Jake Peavy vs. Jake Arrieta - 1:20 pm
Reds @ Diamondbacks
Friday: Raisel Iglesias vs. Chase Anderson - 7:40 pm
Saturday: Keyvius Sampson vs. Robbie Ray - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Anthony DeSclafani vs. Patrick Corbin - 2:10 pm
- The Astros released RHP Jose Veras.
- Blue Jays RHP Aaron Sanchez dropped his appeal of a three-game suspension and began serving it on Wednesday.
- The Nationals will activate RHP Stephen Strasburg from the 15-day DL tomorrow.
- The Rays claimed outfielder Daniel Nava off of waivers from the Red Sox.
- The Yankees signed outfielder Garrett Jones to a new contract just a week after he had elected to become a free agent following a DFA by the Yankees.
- When the Dodgers got their massive TV contract, we thought they would use that to just buy whoever they want. While they have done that, they've also been paying a lot of money for players to stay away from the team. Mark Townsend of Big League Stew notes that the Dodgers are spending $87.5 million on players that are no longer with the team.
The Brewers open a three-game series against the Cardinals this afternoon. Here are the starting matchups for the weekend:
Friday: Lance Lynn vs. Tyler Cravy - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Jaime Garcia vs. Wily Peralta - 6:10 pm
Sunday: John Lackey vs. Jimmy Nelson - 1:10 pm