Let's start with the good from the game. Ariel Pena had a decent start, allowing two runs in five innings. Nevin Ashley collected his first major league hit in his first start, and reached base twice (the second on a HBP). The Brewers had a chance to win this game...until Will Smith came in. In 1/3 of an inning, he allowed three runs (one charged to Tyler Cravy) on two hits and a walk. Tom Koehler kept the Brewers in check for eight innings, and the Marlins took the series.
Brewers News & Notes
- Taylor Jungmann has been pitching well for the Brewers in 2015, but if he wanted to win the Rookie of the Year award, he picked the wrong year to come up. Noah looked at the Rookie of the Year race yesterday, one that is loaded with one of the best rookie classes in years.
- Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com reports that Jonathan Lucroy was held out of yesterday's game against the Marlins due to concussion symptoms. Lucroy is expected to receive another day off today and could return to the lineup Friday if the team doctor clears him. Nevin Ashley got the start for Lucroy yesterday and had an RBI double for his first MLB hit.
- For the second straight year, Will Smith is struggling over the final games of the season. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com asked Smith and manager Craig Counsell about why Smith has been struggling lately.
- The first names on the short list for the Brewers GM position are starting to leak out. Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers have requested permission to interview Athletics assistant GM Dan Kantrovitz and Rays VP of baseball operations Chaim Bloom. Over on BP Milwaukee, J.P. Breen explains why the Milwaukee GM position is a good one.
- Jonathan Lucroy has shown some improvement in the last month of the season. Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at what has improved for Lucroy.
- One thing Doug Melvin was not afraid to do as Brewers GM was make trades within the divison. Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee analyzes Meivn's in-division trading and how it compares to the rest of the league.
Minor League Update
Southern League Division Series
Game 1: Pensacola @ Biloxi
News & Notes
- Rotation for Biloxi's first round playoff series:
Game 1: Jorge Lopez (24 GS, 2.26 ERA, 3.36 FIP, 8.6 K/9, 3.27 BB/9)
Game 2: Adrian Houser (7 GS, 2.92 ERA, 3.55 FIP, 7.78 K/9, 1.46 BB/9)
Game 3: Tyler Wagner (25 GS, 2.25 ERA, 3.27 FIP, 7.09 K/9, 2.66 BB/9)
Game 4: Josh Hader (7 GS, 2.79 ERA, 2.81 FIP, 11.64 K/9, 2.56 BB/9)
Game 5: TBD (Will be determined if the series reaches a fifth game)
- The Rattler Radio blog has a roundup of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers season.
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports published his All-Minor League Team yesterday. Brett Phillips took one of the outfield spots, and four other Brewers prospects earned honorable mentions.
- Over on Disciples of Uecker, Nicholas Zettel looks at some of the most improved prospects in the Brewers system.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Phillies (Adam Morgan) - 6:05 pm
- Cardinals (Jaime Garcia) @ Reds (John Lamb) - 6:10 pm
- Athletics manager Bob Melvin received a two-year contract extension, which will keep him under contract through the 2018 season.
- The Cardinals activated first baseman Matt Adams from the disabled list and designated LHP Nick Greenwood for assignment.
The Brewers head to Pittsburgh to open up a four-game series against the Pirates. Wily Peralta, whose start last time was shortened due to rain, will open the series for the Brewers, and he will face Pirates starter A.J. Burnett. First pitch is at 6:05 pm.