We've known that this season would be a losing season for a while. The designation finally got locked down last night with their loss to the Cardinals. The game was a pitcher's duel for nine innings, as both starting pitchers (and then both bullpens) kept the offenses in check. However, in the tenth inning, Tyler Thornburg allowed a two-run home run to Jason Heyward, and that was all the Cardinals needed to win. Khris Davis was responsible for the only Brewers offense with a solo home run.
Brewers News & Notes
- After a week out of the lineup, Jonathan Lucroy's recovery from a concussion has been slow. Adam McCalvy reports that Lucroy spoke to Cardinals manager Mike Matheny about what to do, and Matheny urged Lucroy to take it slow and make sure he's fully recovered before returning. At this point, Lucroy is not being shut down for the season, and does hope to return to the lineup before the end of the year.
- Jordan Freemyer of MLB Daily Dish has an obituary for the 2015 Brewers (which mistakenly lists Doug Melvin as "relieved of duties" instead of just stepping aside after a new GM is named).
- Over on Minor League Ball, John Sickels looks at Taylor Jungmann and how he has developed into a solid major-league starter this year.
- While Taylor Jungmann has been pitching well, he has also had a good year at the plate. Derek Harvey of BP Milwaukee looks at how Jungmann compares to other pitchers who were good on offense for the Brewers.
- MVP discussions are going on as writers try to figure out who to vote for this year. Julien Assouline comments on the voting process for MVP by looking back at Ryan Braun's MVP season in 2011 and how voters looked at Braun when he won.
- In the FanPosts, TWreck asks about the future of second baseman Scooter Gennett, if it will be with the Brewers or on another team.
Minor League Update
Southern League Championship Series
Chattanooga @ Biloxi
News & Notes
- On The Shuck Dynasty blog, Thaddeus Krzus previews the championship series between the Biloxi Shuckers and the Chattanooga Lookouts. He also has a podcast preview of the championship series.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has the full schedule for the Instructional League this fall.
NL Central Update
- Pirates 5, Cubs 4
- Cubs 2, Pirates 1
- Reds 9, Giants 8
Today's Division Games
- Cubs (Jake Arrieta) @ Pirates (A.J. Burnett)
- Reds (Michael Lorenzen) @ Giants (Jake Peavy)
- Athletics RHP Jesse Chavez will miss the remainder of the 2015 season with a non-displaced fracture in his ribs.
- The Cardinals activated outfielder Matt Holiday from the 15-day DL.
- Padres RHP Josh Johnson will undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the remainder of the 2015 season and all of the 2016 season. It will be his third Tommy John procedure.
Having lost four in a row, the Brewers will try to get back on track in Wednesday's game against the Cardinals. Wily Peralta faces Jaime Garcia in the second game of the series. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.