Is Zach Davies getting stronger with each start he makes? There's definitely an argument for it. Last night may have been the strongest start of his short MLB career so far. He pitched six shutout innings, allowing a total of just two hits and a walk. Meanwhile, the offense backed up Davies, scoring three runs off of Cubs starter Kyle Hendricks, who carried a perfect game into the fifth inning. Back-to-back singles by Jean Segura and Luis Sardinas in the fifth inning (along with a steal) gave the Brewers a 1-0 lead. They added two more runs in the seventh on a Khris Davis RBI single and a Martin Maldonado sacrifice fly, and added an insurance run in the eighth with an RBI single from Maldonado. Francisco Rodriguez came in and got the save with a perfect ninth.
Brewers News & Notes
- The full starting rotation from Opening Day for the Brewers is now dismantled for the rest of the season. The last man standing, Wily Peralta, was officially shut down for the season yesterday with left oblique tightness. It shouldn't impact his ability to be ready for Opening Day next year.
- Zach Davies shifted his mindset for last night's start against the Cubs, and it paid off for him. John Jackson of MLB.com reports that Davies had a more aggressive mindset in last night's start and it benefited him with better results.
- Jonathan Lucroy is feeling better and hoping to get back into a game soon. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Lucroy will see some game action soon, but at first base and not catcher.
- Continuing with his discussion on Khris Davis, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker looks at the arm strength and baserunning ability of Davis.
- Taylor Jungmann and Michael Blazek have put together some great seasons, but how would they ranked compared to other seasons historically? Julien Assouline asks this question and analyzes how Jungmann and Blazek fit in a historical context.
- Now that we have a decent number of plate appearances from Domingo Santana, how have his stats looked? Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee looks at the stats from Santana's first month with the team and pulls out the good and the bad from them.
Minor League Update
- Following their promotions, Miller Park Prospects has profiles for pitchers Adrian Houser and Yhonathan Barrios.
NL Central Update
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Jeff Locke) @ Rockies (Chad Bettis) - 2:10 pm
- Mets (Steven Matz) @ Reds (Josh Smith) - 6:10 pm
- Cubs have the day off.
The Brewers make their final trip to St. Louis starting today to open a four-game series tonight. Taylor Jungmann faces Michael Wacha in game one of this series. First pitch is at 6:15 pm.