Brewers News & Notes
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 82 days. After discussing the 1983 and 1984 teams the last two days, it was easy to predict that today's topic would be the 1982 team.
- Continuing in the series on the Brewers offseason update, Travis takes a look at the bullpen.
- Players filed for arbitration yesterday, and all three of the Brewers arbitration eligible players were included in the list of players. The next deadline is the exchange of figures on Friday, and Adam McCalvy notes that the Brewers may take a new strategy to handling arbitration cases.
- BP Milwaukee is starting up a new section for catching statistics, and Michael Bradburn of BP Milwaukee analyzes where Lucroy ranks compared to other catchers.
- As part of their countdown, Adam McIntosh looked at the 83 wins for 2012.
- Over in the FanPosts, Thinkofthechildren has an honest opinion on the play style of Chris Carter.
Minor League Update
- Marc Hulet of FanGraphs has a minor-league review of the Brewers system from 2015.
- This season will be defined by the development of prospects. Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee analyzes what should be expected from the top prospects in 2016.
- The FanGraphs projections are out, and Dave Cameron discusses this year's predictions, which teams are set for big jumps and which are set to regress.
- MLB set a new directive yesterday, requiring all 30 MLB teams to hire full-time Spanish translators starting in 2016.
- Following the Cardinals breach into the Astros system, speculation is ongoing about if the Cardinals will be punished for it or not. However, Mike Bates of SB Nation believes that commissioner Rob Manfred will not punish the Cardinals.
- The Diamondbacks signed LHP Wesley Wright to a minor-league deal.
- The Dodgers signed Cuban pitcher Yasiel Sierra to a six-year contract.
- The Mariners acquired RHP Joe Wieland from the Dodgers for infielder Erick Mejia.
- The Marlins signed pitcher LHP Wei-Yin Chen to a five-year, $80 million contract with an option for a sixth year. They also signed first baseman Chris Johnson to a one-year deal and designated infielder Tommy Medica and RHP Andre Rienzo for assignment.
- The Reds signed Cuban shortstop Alfredo Rodriguez to a $6 million deal.
- The Rockies signed outfielder Gerardo Parra to a three-year, $27.5 million contract.
- Hall of Famer Monte Irvin died yesterday at the age of 96.