Brewers News & Notes
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 68 days. Today's post focuses on a dark time in Brewers history: the 68 games that Yuniesky Betancourt played at first base in 2013.
- The Brewers announced a new alternate jersey for the 2016 that will replace the road alternate and gold alternate jerseys. Derek has the new design in a FanShot (and is happy the gold jerseys are gone).
- The Opening Day ticket opportunity is now underway for this year. Derek has the link to register for this year's Opening Day ticket purchase lottery.
- Sunday's Brewers on Deck event is expected to be as popular as usual this year despite the new focus towards rebuilding. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com spoke to Brewers COO Rick Schlesinger in advance of the event.
- Continuing in a two-part post on Jimmy Nelson's improvements, Nicholas Zettel of Disciples of Uecker breaks down Nelson's pitch selection.
- When it comes to promoting prospects, how much seasoning do the Brewers subject their minor-league players to before getting the call to the majors? Julien Assouline of BP Milwaukee looks at the trends for the Brewers when it comes to players making their MLB debuts.
Minor League Update
- As the list of top prospects continues from MLB Pipeline, Kyle notes that no Brewers prospects were listed at the top prospects for second base.
- The Brewers have announced their full list of non-roster invitees for Spring Training. Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has the complete list.
- In addition, The Brewer Nation has the complete list of roster numbers for all players without numbers.
- Dustin Mazurek of Miller Park Prospects has a profile of Jonathan Villar.
- The Timber Rattlers are taking submissions for items that could end up on the Timber Rattlers menu this year. Chris Mehring of the Timber Rattlers has instructions on how to submit your own creations.
- The Angels avoided arbitration with right fielder Kole Calhoun and signed him to a one-year, $3.4 million contract.
- The Indians signed RHP Josh Tomlin to a two-year, $5.5 million contract extension.
- The Nationals signed RHP Bronson Arroyo to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
- The Orioles acquired first baseman/outfielder Efren Navarro from the Angels and designated L.J. Hoes for assignment.
- The Yankees signed catcher Carlos Corporan to a minor-league contract.