Brewers News & Notes
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 53 days. Today's post focuses on the 53 wRC+ posted by Martin Maldonado.
- Yesterday, Keith Law published his ranking of the farm systems of all 30 MLB teams. The Brewers made a major jump in his rankings, going from 28th to 5th.
- There are a lot of statistics out there, and it can be intimidating to look through the fielding statistics. Fortunately for you, Fred has a guide that will help you navigate many of the fielding statistics.
- The Brewers have had some big years in the international market, but have remained within their budget (for the most part). However, they have positioned themselves to be active in the market in the next period, and Kyle notes that they have already been "very busy" on the market.
- Over in the FanPosts, therenaissancefan discussed who the current face of the franchise should be.
- Ever since Doug Melvin stepped down as GM of the Brewers, he's kept busy on a less busy schedule. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com spoke with Melvin about life after spending years in the front office.
- The Brewers have released their full promotional schedule for the 2016 season. The Brewer Nation has the complete list of promotions for 2016.
- Continuing in their Brewers by the Jersey Numbers series, The Brewer Nation has a profile of Michael Blazek.
- ESPN came out with their top 250 fantasy players for the 2016 season, and four Brewers made the list: outfielder Ryan Braun, catcher Jonathan Lucroy, outfielder Khris Davis, and starting pitcher Jimmy Nelson.
Minor League Update
- In the poll for the #8 prospect in the Brewers organization, Zach Davies currently has a slight lead over Kodi Medeiros and Devin Williams. The poll is open under 12 pm.
- Kyle Lobner of TimberRattlers.com attended Brewers on Deck over the weekend, and had the opportunity to talk to several players. He wrote up his experience in his Frosty Microbrews article.
- The Braves signed RHP Carlos Torres to a minor-league deal.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with first baseman Brandon Belt and signed him to a one-year, $6.2 million contract.
- The Orioles are working on signing starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo to a three-year deal.
- The Phillies acquired infielder Taylor Featherston from the Angels for either cash or a player to be named later. They also designated LHP Bobby LaFromboise for assignment.
- The Tigers finalized a two-year, $18.5 million deal with outfielder J.D. Martinez.