Links from BCB
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 39 days, and the first full-team workout will take place. Today's post focuses on an old favorite: Chris Capuano.
- Continuing in our position battles series, Derek wrote about the looming battle for the starting shortstop position.
- Recently, Kyle had the chance to talk to Brewers prospect Gentry Fortuno. He posted the transcript of his conversation with the young prospect.
- Want to write for BCB? There's always the opportunity to write in the FanPosts, and Derek explains how you can get started. AlDobbs23 took advantage of the opportunity and wrote about the Sean Nolin waiver claim.
- There's still time to vote for #19 in the BCB Community Top Prospects poll, which is currently the subject of a controversial vote.
Other Brewers News and Notes
- The praise for Orlando Arcia goes beyond his ability on the field. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com writes that Arcia's personality further impresses anyone that meets him.
- Chris Carter comes into camp as the starter at first base, but has a lot to prove this year. Behind the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel pay wall, Todd Rosiak has a profile of the new first baseman.
- Former Brewers prospect Tyler Wagner got a shock when he found out he was being traded to Arizona. Kyle Lobner of TimberRattlers.com wrote about the trade for Wagner and what it means to him and to the Brewers organization.
- Taylor Jungmann is in camp hoping to improve and avoid the late-season meltdown that affected him last September. Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes that Jungmann was hurting at the end of last season and wants to avoid that in 2016.
- Sean Nolin is another pickup that well-represents the Brewers new philosophy. Seth Victor of BP Milwaukee looks at the choices the Brewers have made this offseason in regards to their talent acquisition.
- Over on The View From Bernie's Chalet, JD is feeling nostalgic and wrote about Greg Vaughn.
- In addition to the spring training broadcasts on Fox Sports Wisconsin, MLB Network will televise a total of 15 Brewers games this spring. Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects has a complete list of games televised.
- With camps getting underway, you will hear a lot of reports about players' current shape, spring stats, and much more than can get confusing. To help you out, Nicolas Stellini of Beyond the Box Score has a primer on reading news from spring training.
- In what may be a first for a MLB player, Ruben Tejada of the Mets received an extra day of service time as part of his arbitration agreement. This will allow Tejada to become a free agent at the end of the season, since he would have been one day short of free agency without the extra day.
- The Braves signed Cuban reliever Carlos Portuondo to a contract with a $990,000 bonus.
- After Yovani Gallardo's deal with the Orioles hit a snag due to a medical issue, the deal was reworked to a two-year, $22 million contract with a $13 million option for 2018.
- Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton will begin the 2016 season on the disabled list with a knee injury.
- Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels is suing a London-based event promoter for $150,000 in damages after he failed to get entry to see last year's Victoria's Secret fashion show.