Brewers News & Notes
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 61 days. The recent series of players continues with a look at Ramon Flores.
- The Jean Segura trade had a cascading effect on the Brewers for 2016. Derek tries to sort out what all of it means in his newest roster/payroll projection.
- With all of the players that the Brewers have brought in this offseason, there's a big mess to figure out in the outfield for next season. Kyle tries to figure out who will stick with the team in the outfield and who will be gone after spring training.
- Many people think that the Diamondbacks are making a mistake by acquiring Jean Segura, but it's possible that a new situation will be good for him. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports looks back at a rough few years for Segura and how changing teams may end up helping him.
- Not everyone is as high on the Segura trade on the Brewers side. Justin Schultz of The First Out At Third likes the acquisition of Isan Diaz, but is confused why the Brewers also got Aaron Hill and Chase Anderson.
- As part of the rebuilding process, the Brewers want to make sure there is a focus on the minor-league players and helping them improve. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that GM David Stearns is planning to take an approach with plenty of individual attention on the players.
- The Brewer Nation blog is getting their yearly Brewers by the Jersey Numbers series going, and yesterday's post focused on #62 Garin Cecchini.
- What were some of the best pitches of the 2015 season? Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee uses advanced stats to pinpoint the best pitches from last year.
- The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has a timeline of Brewers moves in their rebuilding, starting with the 2015 MLB Draft and through last weekend's trade.
- Over in the FanPosts, jzaeske proposes some possible trade ideas for a Lucroy trade.
Minor League Update
- In the BCB Community Top Prospects vote, 69% of you voted for Brett Phillips to take the #2 spot. The vote is now open for third best prospect.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that the Brewers signed utility player Fidel Pena to a minor-league contact.
- Also on Miller Park Prospects, Dustin Mazurek has a profile of Domingo Santana.
- Chris Mehring of TimberRattlers.com details some of the daily promotions that the Timber Rattlers will be doing in 2016.
- The recent wave of teams in rebuilding stages has brought up the topic of tanking at the owner meetings last month. Buster Olney of ESPN reports that owners could look to make a rule change to discourage tanking, and it could come soon with the CBA set to expire at the end of the year.
- The Blue Jays acquired outfielder Darrell Ceciliani from the Mets for either a PTBNL or cash.
- The Dodgers have hired Greg Maddux and Raul Ibanez as special assistants in their front office.
- The Nationals signed infielder Brendan Ryan to a minor-league contract.
- The Twins signed outfielder Carlos Quentin to a minor-league contract.