Brewers News & Notes
- The countdown to Opening Day is at 59 days, and it's only 14 days until pitchers and catchers report.. Switching gears a little, Derek looks at the 59th game of 2016 and the implications of adding the DH to the National League.
- When Matt Garza was shut down last season, it had a side effect that could affect his contract option for 2018. Kyle Lobner explains why Garza's shutdown could end up saving a team millions of dollars.
- Shane Peterson cleared waivers yesterday and was assigned to Triple-A Colorado Springs. He will also get an invite to the major-league camp for spring training.
- Continuing in the wave of evaluation posts on the Jean Segura trade, J.P. Breen breaks down his thoughts on the trade and likes each of the players received for different reasons.
- In his Brewers by the Jersey Numbers series, The Brewer Nation has a profile of Keon Broxton.
- Postgame concerts are returning in 2016. Cait Covers the Bases has the details for the two artists who will perform following two games next season.
- What were the worst pitches of 2015? Ryan Romano follows up his post on the best pitches of the season with a look at the worst pitches of 2015.
Minor League Update
- Trent Clark beat Josh Hader for the #4 vote in our BCB Community Top Prospects vote. The vote is now open over the weekend for the #5 spot.
- Marcus Young of Miller Park Prospects notes that four Brewers made the Scout.com Top 100 rankings: Orlando Arcia, Josh Hader, Brett Phillips, and Trent Clark.
- The Timber Rattlers have announced their full list of theme nights for 2015.
- The Blue Jays are expected to sign RHP Gavin Floyd.
- The Orioles acquired pitcher Odrisamer Despaigne from the Padres for minor league pitcher JC Cosme. They also avoided arbitration with LHP Brian Matusz and signed him to a one-year, $3.9 million contract. Finally, they designated LHP C.J. Riefenhauser for assignment.
- The Padres officially signed reliever Fernando Rodney to a one-year, $2 million contract.
- Rays pitcher Drew Smyly won the first arbitration case of the year and will earn a salary of $3.75 million in 2016.