Links from BCB
- The last double-digit day of the countdown is today as Opening Day is just 10 days away. Today's countdown post focuses on #10 Kirk Nieuwenhuis.
- As part of the Opening Day previews, Travis has a preview of the Cincinnati Reds.
Other Brewers News and Notes
- Ryan Braun ended up being scratched from Thursday's game with some minor stiffness in his back. He hopes to be back in the lineup by Saturday.
- With just under a week left in Arizona, seven spots are still up for grabs on the Brewers roster. Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com looks at the ongoing battles and who is still fighting for a roster spot.
- Chase Anderson pitched in a minor-league game on Wednesday to keep him on track for the start of the season, and his first inning struggles continued. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wrote about Anderson's first inning problems this spring.
- The Brewers have acquired some excellent talent this offseason, but also some that hasn't been as noticeable. Ryan Romano of BP Milwaukee wrote about Nick Hagadone and how he is trying to recapture value now in the Brewers system.
- Will it be Keon Broxton in center field on Opening Day? Gabe Stoltz of Disciples of Uecker is another writer that believes Broxton will be there on Opening Day.
- Over on Baseball Prospectus, Adam McInturff analyzed some of the top Brewers hitters in the minor-league system.
- Chase Field isn't even 20 years old yet, but a potential battle for a new stadium is brewing. Chris Cwik of Big League Stew reports that the Diamondbacks are looking for permission to begin a search for a new stadium site, even though their lease doesn't allow it until 2024 at the earliest. However, the Diamondbacks are saying that Maricopa County has failed to make repairs totaling $187 million to the stadium, and the Diamondbacks are threatening legal action if the county doesn't take appropriate action.
- As a new season starts up, ballparks are releasing details on new foods available this year. Darren Rovell of ESPN lists some of the more unique creations, which include a donut hole and fried chicken skewer, a cheeseburger dog, and Irish nachos.
- Who will be fired first in 2016? Sportsline reports that odds are out on which manager will be fired first, led by Fredi Gonzalez of the Braves at +330. Craig Counsell comes in tied for the 8th highest odds at +1800.
- The Astros released LHP Neal Cotts.
- The Mets released RHP Buddy Carlyle.
- The Nationals placed first baseman/outfielder Tyler Moore on waivers.
- The Orioles acquired LHP Edgar Olmos from the Cubs for a PTBNL.
- The Padres released RHP Casey Janssen.
- Rockies RHP Jon Gray will miss a couple of weeks with an abdominal strain.
- Royals reliever Tim Collins will undergo a second Tommy John surgery after his first one was not successful.
- The Twins released outfielder Ryan Sweeney.
This Weekend's Action
It's the last weekend for the Brewers in Arizona. Here is their schedule:
Friday: Brewers @ Cubs - 3:05 pm (MLB.com only)
Saturday: Brewers vs. Diamondbacks - 3:05 pm (FS Wisconsin, Brewers Radio Network)
Sunday: Brewers @ Indians - 3:05 pm (Brewers Radio Network)