This Weekend's Results
Ryan Braun hit two home runs to lead the Brewers' offense on Friday, accounting for four of the team's eight runs. Meanwhile, Jimmy Nelson had a quality start to keep the Pirates in check.
Taylor Jungmann was better on Saturday, but still fell short of a quality start with four runs allowed in six innings. It didn't help that the Brewers couldn't figure out Jon Niese, who pitched seven scoreless innings for the Pirates.
Zach Davies came up to make his first start on the Brewers this season and it didn't go very well. He allowed six runs in 2.2 innings, and the Brewers offense couldn't make up the difference as they lost the rubber match.
Brewers News & Notes
Links from BCB
- The Brewers made a roster move this weekend, recalling Zach Davies to start on Sunday and optioning struggling outfielder Keon Broxton to the minors. This currently leaves the Brewers a man short on the bench, but they are expected to hold that at least through the two games at Minnesota.
- Prior to his start yesterday, Derek wrote about what you should know about Zach Davies.
- For now, Wily Peralta remains in the Brewers rotation, but how much longer will he be there if the Brewers don't see improvement? Kyle asks that question as he looks at Peralta's performance so far this season.
- For more of a recap of last week, check out eddiemathews second edition of the Sunday Sundries.
Other Brewers News and Notes
- The Brewers new patience at the plate has shown lately, but they may be too patient now. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel notes that the Brewers are taking the most pitches in the league, but that could be leading to a higher strikeout rate.
- While Keon Broxton was sent down to the minors after less than two weeks, Colin Walsh won't be sent down as easily. Tom Haudricourt explains why Walsh will have more of an opportunity to start hitting than Broxton did.
- Jackie Robinson Day took place on Friday as all 30 teams wore #42 on that day. Craig Counsell provided his thoughts on the day as well, and George Von Benko of MLB.com has the quotes.
- The topic of Wily Peralta's decline has been a popular one lately. Travis Sarandos of BP Milwaukee provides his take on Peralta's struggles and if he can improve.
- Add Jim Gantner to the list of people who don't like the new slide rule. Tom Haudricourt writes that, despite two terrible knee injuries due to slides into second base, Gantner does not like how the new rule has come into play this season.
- Is it time for the Brewers to make a logo change? Gabe Stoltz of Disciples of Uecker says he's tired of the Brewers mockery with the retro logo and wants it back as the primary logo.
- Also on Disciples of Uecker, Travis Sarandos notes that Zack Jones has been cleared to resume throwing as the Brewers try to decide what to do with him.
- Prior to Saturday's game, some of the Brewers players and staff scheduled a visit to the Roberto Clemente Museum. Cait Covers the Bases has some pictures from the visit.
- The visit to Pittsburgh allowed some of the Brewers to have a chance to catch up with former Brewers broadcaster Joe Block. Tom Haudricourt talked to Block about his move to Pittsburgh.
- Also on Cait Covers the Bases, there's a reminder about the upcoming 5-County, 5-Day Ticket Promotion, as well as a book review for Bill Schroeder's "If These Walls Could Talk".
Minor League Update
|Colorado Springs Sky Sox
Friday: Memphis 10, Colorado Springs 9
Saturday: Memphis @ Colorado Springs (PPD)
Sunday: Memphis @ Colorado Springs (PPD)
|Memphis @ Colorado Springs (DH)
Saturday: Biloxi 2, Mobile 0
Saturday: Biloxi 4, Mobile 2
Sunday: Pensacola 5, Biloxi 0
|Pensacola @ Biloxi
|Brevard County Manatees
Friday: St. Lucie 4, Brevard County 0
Saturday: St. Lucie 3, Brevard County 2
Sunday: Brevard County 13, St. Lucie 0
|Brevard County @ St. Lucie
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
Friday: Peoria 5, Wisconsin 3
Saturday: Wisconsin 7, Peoria 2
Sunday: Peoria 9, Wisconsin 2
|Quad Cities @ Wisconsin
News & Notes
- Brett Favre made an appearance at the Biloxi game on Sunday as part of their Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Doug Barber of the Sun Herald wrote about Favre's appearance.
- Over on BP Milwaukee, Kyle Lesniewski writes about improvements that some of the Brewers top prospects need to make if they want to make it to the majors.
- The question of what to do with Josh Hader will have to be answered at some point. Jake Covey of Disciples of Uecker looks at the case of Hader and if he should start or relieve.
NL Central Update
This Weekend's Division Games
- Rockies @ Cubs
Friday: Rockies 6, Cubs 1
Saturday: Cubs 6, Rockies 2
Sunday: Rockies 2, Cubs 0
- Reds @ Cardinals
Friday: Cardinals 14, Reds 3
Saturday: Reds 9, Cardinals 8
Sunday: Cardinals 4, Reds 3
Today's Division Games
- Rockies (Jordan Lyles) @ Reds (Dan Straily) - 6:10 pm
- Cubs (John Lackey) @ Cardinals (Mike Leake) - 7:09 pm
- Athletics infielder Eric Sogard is expected to have knee surgery and be out for 6-8 weeks.
- The Angels placed outfielder Daniel Nava on the DL with left knee tendinitis and recalled Rafael Ortega.
- The Cubs activated utility player Javier Baez from the 15-day DL and optioned infielder Munenori Kawasaki to Triple-A.
- The Dodgers signed LHP Joe Thatcher to a minor-league deal.
- The Giants placed infielder Ehire Adrianza on the DL with a fractured left foot and recalled outfielder Mac Williamson.
- The Marlins designated RHP Dustin McGowan for assignment and recalled RHP Kyle Barraclough.
- Mets starting pitcher Jacob deGrom was placed on family emergency leave due to a medical issue with his son. They also recalled utility player Eric Campbell.
- The Rangers signed third baseman Adrian Beltre to a two-year extension.
The Brewers head to Minnesota to start a four-game home/home series. In game one, Chase Anderson faces Phil Hughes. First pitch is at 7:10 pm.