This Weekend's Results
A two-run home run on each side accounted for most of the offense in the game, but the Mets had another run on an RBI groundout that was the difference.
Both starting pitchers allowed four runs as the game turned into a battle of the bullpens, and the Mets came out on top as Michael Blazek only got one out (on a sacrifice bunt) and David Wright won the game with a walk-off single.
For the third straight day, the Brewers had an early lead, this time over Noah Syndergaard. However, he would only allow the one run as the Mets scored three off of Chase Anderson to complete the sweep.
Brewers News and Notes
Links from BCB
Milwaukee Brewers Recall Keon Broxton, Place Domingo Santana on DL | Kyle Lesniewski, BCB
With Santana's shoulder injury not improving, the Brewers chose to place him on the 15-day DL and bring up Broxton, who had been playing well at Colorado Springs.
Sunday Sundries - Week 7 | eddiemathews, BCB
It was a 2-4 week for the Brewers, who started with a series win over the Cubs, but finished by being swept by the Mets.
Prospects - '16 Brewers vs. '14 Cubs vs. '13 Cubs | justthestatsman, BCB Fanpost
How does the Brewers farm system compare to the Cubs farm system during their rebuilding years? There are some similarities between the two.
Links from Other Sites
Will Smith going on minor-league rehab to Brevard County | Tom Haudricourt, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Will Smith is getting closer to returning to the Brewers, as he has been assigned to Brevard County to begin a rehab assignment. He could be back as soon as next week.
Nieuwenhuis, Torres get '15 NL champs rings | Troy Provost-Heron, MLB.com
As members of last season's Mets teams that made it to the World Series, Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Carlos Torres received their NL championship rings on Friday.
Anatomy of a Gem: Junior Guerra Cube-ifies the Cubs | Ryan Romano, BP Milwaukee
Junior Guerra had a great start against the Cubs on Thursday. By the numbers, it was one of the best starts of the season for a Brewers starting pitcher.
Chris Carter of the Milwaukee Brewers: All Star slugger? | John Sickels, Minor League Ball
Chris Carter has started the season very strong. If he keeps it up, could he end up with an All-Star Game appearance?
All You Had To Do Was Swing | Travis Sarandos, BP Milwaukee
The Brewers increased plate patience has resulted in more baserunners, but it's also had a secondary effect of more strikeouts as well. An additional effect of the reduced swing rate has been more runners left on base, since there are less opportunities for baserunners to score.
Quick Hits: Villar, Beane, Reyes, Draft | Mark Polishuk, MLB Trade Rumors
There's some optimism that Jonathan Villar's hot start is sustainable, and Villar could end up being a surprise trade chip for the Brewers this season.
Minor League Update
Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA) | 18-21
- Friday: Colorado Springs 14, Las Vegas 6
- Saturday: Las Vegas 4, Colorado Springs 3
- Sunday: Las Vegas 6, Colorado Springs 4
- Today: Colorado Springs @ Sacramento | 9:05 pm
Biloxi Shuckers (AA) | 25-17
- Saturday: Tennessee 10, Biloxi 9
- Sunday: Biloxi 5, Tennessee 0
- Sunday: Biloxi 6, Tennessee 5
- Today: Biloxi @ Tennessee | 6:05 pm
Brevard County Manatees (A+) | 14-29
- Friday: Jupiter 2, Brevard County 0
- Saturday: Jupiter 2, Brevard County 0
- Sunday: Jupiter 14, Brevard County 3
- Today: Brevard County @ Jupiter | 5:30 pm
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A) | 21-22
- Friday: Kane County 3, Wisconsin 1
- Saturday: Wisconsin 7, Kane County 3
- Sunday: Wisconsin 7, Kane County 6
- Today: Kane County @ Wisconsin | 12:05 pm
News and Notes
Arcia keeps tear going for Sky Sox | Josh Jackson, MiLB.com
Shortstop Orlando Arcia has been playing strong at Triple-A Colorado Springs, with a 12-game hitting streak going through Sunday.
Judging Jon Perrin | Kyle Lesniewski, BP Milwaukee
Jon Perrin was a late pick in last year's draft for the Brewers. However, he has become one of the most promising prospects in the system.
In baseball, high draft pick rarely a sure thing | Tom Haudricourt, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
There's a lot of uncertainty about who the Brewers could take at #5 in the draft in a few weeks, though whoever they pick, there's no guarantee that they will turn into a strong player.
Candelario among top prospect performers Saturday | Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com
In Saturday's Wisconsin game, Marcos Diplan and Freddy Peralta combined to strike out fifteen and only allow one run.
Reyes among top prospect performers in debut | Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com
Josh Hader continued his strong start in Biloxi on Sunday, putting up five scoreless innings in the first game of a double-header.
Pipeline preview: Bellinger, Ortiz among prospects to watch | Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com
Monday's Duel of the Day features Devin Williams at Wisconsin facing Cody Reed of Kane County in an afternoon game.
NL Central Update
This Weekend's Games
Rockies @ Pirates
- Friday: Pirates 2, Rockies 1
- Saturday: Rockies 5, Pirates 1
- Sunday: PPD (Rain)
Mariners @ Reds
- Friday: Mariners 8, Reds 3
- Saturday: Mariners 4, Reds 0
- Sunday: Mariners 5, Reds 4
Diamondbacks @ Cardinals
- Friday: Diamondbacks 11, Cardinals 7
- Saturday: Cardinals 6, Diamondbacks 2
- Sunday: Diamondbacks 7, Cardinals 2
Cubs @ Giants
- Friday: Cubs 8, Giants 1
- Saturday: Giants 5, Cubs 3
- Sunday: Giants 1, Cubs 0
- Rockies (Jordan Lyles) @ Pirates (Ryan Vogelsong) | 11:35 am
- Cubs (John Lackey) @ Caridnals (Adam Wainwright) | 7:15 pm
- Reds (Brandon Finnegan) @ Dodgers (Clayton Kershaw) | 9:10 pm
- LHP Sean Burnett opted out of his minor-league contract
- Signed RHP Lucas Harrell and Rob Wooten to minor-league contracts
- Designated reliever Neil Ramirez for assignment
- Activated outfielder Matt Szczur from the disabled list
- Outrighted RHP Drew Hayes to Triple-A
- Designated RHP Steve Delabar for assignment
- Optioned relievers Jumbo Diaz and Keyvius Sampson to Triple-A
Kansas City Royals
- Activated third baseman Mike Moustakas from the 15-day DL
- Optioned Cheslor Cuthbert to Triple-A Omaha
Los Angeles Angels
- Designated RHP Danny Reynolds for assignment
- Designated RHP Al Alburquerque for assignment
- Selected the contract of RHP Deolis Guerra
New York Yankees
- Placed starting pitcher Sonny Gray on the 15-day DL with a strained right trapezius
- Right fielder Josh Reddick will miss four to six weeks with a fractured right thumb
- Placed shortstop Ketel Marte on the 15-day DL with a sprained thumb
- Recalled shortstop Chris Taylor
Tampa Bay Rays
- Placed center fielder Kevin Kiermaier on the 15-day DL with a fractured left hand
- Recalled outfielder Mikie Mahtook
- Released minor-league catcher Carlos Corporan
- Signed caticher J.P. Arencibia to a minor-league contract
Padres under fire after humiliating gay men's chorus during anthem | Kyle Ringo, Big League Stew
The Padres are under fire after they played a recorded anthem during Saturday's game, when they had brought the San Diego Gay Men's Chorus on the field to sing the anthem.
Report: MLB nearing changes to strike zone and intentional walks | Mark Townsend, Big League Stew
Big chances could be coming to baseball as soon as next season, with proposed changes to the strike zone and intentional walks set to be voted on.
The Brewers have the day off. They return to action tomorrow to open a three-game series against the Braves.