Brewers News and Notes
Links from BCB
Corey Knebel recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs | Derek Harvey, BCB
To fill the roster back to 25, the Brewers recalled reliever Corey Knebel from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
Milwaukee Brewers Midseason Grades: Management | eddiemathews, BCB
Finishing off the series of grades is a look at the Brewers coaching staff and front office.
Chase Anderson Hasn’t Been What the Brewers Hoped For | Kyle Lesniewski, BCB
Though not much was expected from Chase Anderson to start the season, he hasn’t been as useful as hoped for in the Brewers rotation.
Links from Other Sites
Miller Park set to host Hall of Fame Tour | Adam McCalvy, Brewers.com
The first ballpark to host the new Hall of Fame Tour is Miller Park, and the new exhibit will run from July 15 to 31 before moving on to another city.
Brewers figure to be active as Deadline nears | Adam McCalvy, Brewers.com
While the Brewers return to the field tonight, GM David Stearns will be busy working towards his first trade deadline.
The good, bad and second-half expectations for the Brewers | Tom Haudricourt, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel ($)
A review of the first half of the season, looking at what went right and wrong, as well as what to expect coming up.
A First Half Recap: Team Breakdowns and Awards | Jake Covey, Disciples of Uecker
Another first-half review, handing out awards to the best players in the first half of the season.
Nelson, Davies, Anderson: The Importance of Mediocrity | Julien Assouline, BP Milwaukee
While everyone wants to focus on the star pitchers, there’s still a use for pitchers who won’t be much better than average.
Is Junior Guerra trade bait? | Justin Schultz, The First Out At Third
Though the track record isn’t as big, there’s still potential value to get out of Junior Guerra.
Junior Guerra's career saved by the split-finger | Gary D’Amato, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel ($)
The development of a split-finger pitch is what has helped Junior Guerra get to this point in his career.
Minor League Update
Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA) | 44-44
- Wednesday: No Game
- Thursday: Colorado Springs 1, Tacoma 3
- Friday: Colorado Springs @ Tacoma | 9:05 pm
- Saturday: Colorado Springs @ Tacoma | 9:05 pm
- Sunday: Colorado Springs @ Tacoma | 3:35 pm
Biloxi Shuckers (AA) | 47-43
- Wednesday: Biloxi 1, Pensacola 0
- Thursday: Birmingham 2, Biloxi 3
- Friday: Birmingham @ Biloxi | 7:10 pm
- Saturday: Birmingham @ Biloxi | 7:10 pm
- Sunday: Birmingham @ Biloxi | 5:10 pm
Brevard County Manatees (A+) | 28-60
- Wednesday: Jupiter 3, Brevard County 4
- Thursday: Jupiter 3, Brevard County 1
- Friday: Jupiter @ Brevard County | 5:35 pm
- Saturday: Jupiter @ Brevard County | 5:35 pm
- Sunday: Brevard County @ Palm Beach | 4:00 pm
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A) | 44-47
- Wednesday: Wisconsin 2, Bowling Green 3
- Thursday: Wisconsin 1, Bowling Green 3
- Friday: Wisconsin @ Bowling Green | 6:35 pm
- Saturday: Wisconsin @ Dayton | 6:00 pm
- Sunday: Wisconsin @ Dayton | 1:00 pm
DSL Brewers (R) | 15-19
- Wednesday: DSL Brewers 4, DSL Yankees2 14
- Thursday: DSL Cardinals 3, DSL Brewers 4
- Friday: DSL Cardinals @ DSL Brewers | 9:30 am
- Saturday: No Game
- Sunday: No Game
Helena Brewers (R) | 10-16
- Wednesday: Helena 2, Idaho Falls 8
- Thursday: Helena 3, Idaho Falls 9
- Friday: Helena @ Idaho Falls | 8:15 pm
- Saturday: Helena @ Ogden | 8:00 pm
- Sunday: Helena @ Ogden | 5:00 pm
AZL Brewers (R) | 8-11
- Wednesday: AZL Mariners 3, AZL Brewers 4
- Thursday: No Game
- Friday: AZL Indians @ AZL Brewers | 9:00 pm
- Saturday: AZL White Sox @ AZL Brewers | 9:00 pm
- Sunday: AZL Brewers @ AZL White Sox | 9:00 pm
News and Notes
Shuckers' Guerrero earns 1,000th career win in dramatic fashion over Barons | Doug Barber, Sun Herald
Shuckers manager Mike Guerrero picked up his 1,000th win as a manager on Thursday night in a Biloxi win over Birmingham.
Frosty Microbrews: The Whirlwind | Kyle Lobner, TimberRattlers.com
Four Brewers draft picks from June’s draft are at Class A Wisconsin now, just one month after being drafted.
Midseason Prospects #3: 3 Up 3 Down | Nicholas Zettel, BP Milwaukee
More prospects that have impressed and disappointed in the minor leagues this season.
NL Central Updates
This Weekend's Games
Rangers @ Cubs
- Friday: Martin Perez vs. Kyle Hendricks | 1:20 pm
- Saturday: Yu Darvish vs. Jason Hammel | 1:20 pm
- Sunday: Cole Hamels vs. John Lackey | 1:20 pm
Pirates @ Nationals
- Friday: Francisco Liriano vs. Stephen Strasburg | 6:05 pm
- Saturday: Gerrit Cole vs. Tanner Roark | 6:05 pm
- Sunday: Chad Kuhi vs. Max Scherzer | 12:35 pm
Marlins @ Cardinals
- Friday: Wei-Yin Chen vs. Jaime Garcia | 7:15 pm
- Saturday: Tom Koehler vs. Adam Wainwright | 6:15 pm
- Sunday: Adam Conley vs. Michael Wacha | 1:15 pm
Red Sox acquire Drew Pomeranz from Padres | Chris Cotillo, MLB Daily Dish
In one of the biggest deals of the trade season so far, the Red Sox acquired starting pitcher Drew Pomeranz from the Padres for #4 prospect Anderson Espinoza.
Cubs favored to win World Series at multiple Las Vegas sportsbooks | David Purdum, ESPN.com
Despite a recent slump, the Cubs remain the betting favorite to win the 2016 World Series.
No one watched the 2016 MLB All-Star game | Chris Cwik, Big League Stew
Despite many changes in an attempt to get more viewers for the All-Star Game, ratings for the game fell to an all-time low of an 8.7 million viewer average.
Brewers @ Reds
- Friday: Matt Garza vs. Anthony DeSclafani | 6:10 pm
- Saturday: Jimmy Nelson vs. John Lamb | 6:10 pm
- Sunday: Zach Davies vs. Dan Straily | 12:10 pm