Brewers News and Notes
Links from BCB
Milwaukee Brewers claim Nick Franklin off waivers, DFA Michael Blazek | Jaymes L, BCB
Milwaukee Brewers Option Taylor Jungmann to AA Biloxi Shuckers | Kyle Lesniewski, BCB
The Brewers roster carousel has already begun spinning. They claimed utility player Nick Franklin off waivers on Wednesday and designated Michael Blazek for assignment, then optioned Taylor Jungmann on Thursday to clear a roster space.
In yesterday’s game against the Rockies, Brewers outfielder Keon Broxton took a pitch to the helmet that deflected into his face, and he had to leave the game. Luckily, he only sustained a small fracture to his nose, and won’t need a DL stint.
With the start of minor league season starting, here are some of the players to watch in the new season.
Links from Other Sites
Free market: Brewers make use of waivers | Adam McCalvy, Brewers.com
In eighteen months on the job, GM David Stearns has acquired sixteen players via waivers. Some of those players are important contributors on the Brewers now, while others never put on a Brewers uniform.
Broxton says C-flap prevented serious injury | Adam McCalvy, Brewers.com
After getting hit by a pitch in the face yesterday, Keon Broxton was in high spirits afterwards. The decision to use a helmet with extra face protection ended up paying off well for him.
Nick Franklin or Scooter Gennett? | Dylan Svoboda, BP Milwaukee
By allowing Scooter Gennett to be claimed on waivers, and then claiming Nick Franklin on waivers, is appears as though the Brewers basically traded similar players. However, Franklin does offer some traits that Gennett does not.
Projecting Nick Franklin | Justin Schultz, The First Out at Third
What could Nick Franklin put up for numbers with the Brewers? Here’s an initial look at his potential stats.
Q&A: Stearns discusses Brewers' direction | Mark Feinsand, MLB.com
In an interview with MLB.com, David Stearns discussed his rise through the front office ranks, rebuilding the Brewers roster, and more.
Uecker reflects on passing of Rickles | Adam McCalvy, Brewers.com
Though it’s uncertain if Don Rickles had a role in Bob Uecker’s rise to fame or not, the two ended up being great friends, and Uecker reflected on Rickles’ life after hearing about him passing away on Thursday.
Minor League Update
Colorado Springs Sky Sox (AAA) | 1-0
- Thursday: Omaha 1, Colorado Springs 2
- Friday: Omaha @ Colorado Springs | 8:00 pm
- Saturday: Omaha @ Colorado Springs | 5:00 pm
- Sunday: Omaha @ Colorado Springs | 2:30 pm
Biloxi Shuckers (AA) | 1-0
- Thursday: Biloxi 6, Montgomery 2
- Friday: Biloxi @ Montgomery | 7:05 pm
- Saturday: Biloxi @ Montgomery | 6:35 pm
- Sunday: Biloxi @ Montgomery | 2:05 pm
Carolina Mudcats (A+) | 0-0
- Thursday: Carolina @ Frederick (PPD Rain)
- Friday: Carolina @ Frederick | 6:00 pm
- Saturday: Carolina @ Frederick | 1:00 pm
- Sunday: Carolina @ Frederick | 1:00 pm
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (A) | 0-1
- Thursday: Wisconsin 0, Quad Cities 3
- Friday: Wisconsin @ Quad Cities | 6:35 pm
- Saturday: Quad Cities @ Wisconsin | 4:05 pm
- Sunday: Quad Cities @ Wisconsin | 1:05 pm
News and Notes
Milwaukee era begins with prospect-rich roster | Greg Young, CarolinaMudcats.com
Though the start will be delayed a day, the Carolina Mudcats will begin their time as a Brewers affiliate with a stacked roster.
Top 10 most stacked rosters in the Minor Leagues | Mike Rosenbaum, MLB.com
The Brewers are the only organization with two entries on the top 10 most stacked minor league rosters.
Another preview of the four full-season affiliates for the Brewers.
Minor League Opening Day | Nicholas Zettel, BP Milwaukee
BP Milwaukee has a more statistical-heavy look at some of the top prospects in the Brewers system.
NL Central Updates
- Cubs @ Cardinals (PPD Rain)
- Phillies 0, Reds 2
- Pirates 0, Red Sox 3
- Phillies 4, Reds 7
- Pirates @ Red Sox (PPD Rain)
- Cubs 6, Cardinals 4
This Weekend’s Games
Braves @ Pirates
- Friday: Mike Foltynewicz vs. Ivan Nova | 12:05 pm
- Saturday: R.A. Dickey vs. Chad Kuhl | 6:05 pm
- Sunday: TBD vs. Gerrit Cole | 12:35 pm
Reds @ Cardinals
- Friday: Amir Garrett vs. Mike Leake | 7:15 pm
- Saturday: Bronson Arroyo vs. Michael Wacha | 1:15 pm
- Sunday: Scott Feldman vs. Carlos Martinez | 1:15 pm
This Weekend’s Action
Cubs @ Brewers
Friday: Brett Anderson vs. Jimmy Nelson | 7:10 pm
Saturday: Kyle Hendricks vs. Tommy Milone | 6:10 pm
Sunday: Jake Arrieta vs. Zach Davies | 1:10 pm