clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Brewers bats wake up in late-night win over Mets, 10-2

Brewers’ bats come alive after long rain delay, score 10 runs without a home run

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers at New York Mets Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports

At the beginning of Friday night, it did not look favorable that a game would be played.

After a long 2.5-hour+ rain delay, the Brewers and the Mets played a baseball game as rain continued to fall for most of the night.

Chase Anderson took the mound after a strong performance against the Los Angeles Dodgers in his previous start and pitched well for 4.2 innings. He gave up five hits, two runs, and he struck out four.

Jacob deGrom, coming off a stint on the Injured List, struggled with control all night. He was only able to get through four innings, giving up five runs. He walked three and struck out seven.

The first highlight of the night was a defensive one. It came in the form of Lorenzo Cain, again. Todd Frazier drilled a shot just over the centerfield wall, but on a dead run, LoCain leaped and brought the would-be home run back to end the bottom of the second inning.

While the power of Christian Yelich is what Brewers’ fans have become accustomed to, his speed was on display Friday evening. After a walk in the first, he stole second, but was stranded. In the top of the third, he legged out an infield single, and eventually stole second for a second time. He was able to score the game’s first run when Mike Moustakas doubled him in.

deGrom would hit Ryan Braun with a pitch and walked Travis Shaw to load the bases. Eric Thames would make the Mets pay with a double into right, scoring both Moose and Braun. Orlando Arica was next up, and he singled through a drawn-in infield to score Shaw and Thames to make it 5-0.

The Mets threatened with runners on second and third in the bottom of the third inning. Robinson Cano came to the plate looking to drive them in with a fly ball that looked certain to drop. Ryan Braun made a diving play to make the out and end the threat. The Mets would get on the board in the bottom of the fourth. Brandon Nimmo doubled and was eventually driven in on a single by Todd Frazier.

But the Brewers would add on. Travis Shaw flipped a fly ball that fell in front of Jeff McNeil and bounced by him, granting Shaw a double. Eric Thames followed up with a walk, and both runners advanced on a passed ball. Orlando Arcia would walk as well, leading the way for Cain to clear the bases with a double down the right field line, and Christian Yelich singled to score Cain, making the score 9-1.

The Mets would score in the bottom of the fifth on a Robinson Cano RBI single. After five innings of play, the score was 9-2, Brewers. New York would not score again.

The Brewers would score one more time in the top of the eighth, when Cain singled and scored all the way from first on a double by Moustakas.

Jake Petricka would pitch the final two frames in scoreless fashion, securing the final out after 1 a.m. Eastern Time. The Brewers snapped their losing streak for win number fourteen of the year, 10-2, and are now back above .500 at 14-13.

Brandon Woodruff will face off against Noah Syndergaard Saturday night, with first pitch at 6:10 p.m. CDT.