Last Week’s Results
Pirates @ Brewers
- Brewers 6, Pirates 1
- Brewers 5, Pirates 2
- Brewers 4, Pirates 2
Brewers @ Phillies
- Phillies 4, Brewers 2
- Brewers 5, Phillies 3
- Brewers 1, Phillies 0
Top Hitting Performance
After a slow start to the season, Hunter Renfroe is starting to heat up. In the past week, he had six hits in 22 plate appearances, four of those going for extra bases (two doubles and two home runs). His best performance of the week came on Saturday, when he went 3-for-4 with a home run and a double.
Top Pitching Performance
While the bullpen has been saving some close games, last week it was Eric Lauer who really stepped up as a starter. In two starts, he pitched six innings each and allowed just one run, a solo home run against the Pirates. He had 18 strikeouts in the two starts compared to just two walks. That’s good for a 0.75 ERA and 1.65 FIP. Lauer has stepped up this season so far and is ensuring this rotation will be formidable top to bottom in 2022.
Injury News and Transaction News
In the time that David Stearns has led the team, the transaction wire may have never been as quiet as it is to start this season. It was another week without a major league transaction. The only move was a minor-league trade with the Phillies, where the Brewers sent outfielder Dustin Peterson to them for cash.
Meanwhile, Luis Urias is beginning his rehab from the calf injury that he sustained in Spring Training. He has been assigned to Double-A Biloxi for rehab, and in his first two games there he is 2-for-8 with a walk, double and an RBI.
Analysis from BCB
- On Easter Sunday in 1987, the Brewers put together a historic game that ended their longest winning streak in franchise history (at the time) to 12 games.
- Devin Williams has been struggling to start this season, but a mechanical problem may be behind those results.
- The Brewers will have to make some roster decisions by May 1, when the expanded rosters to start this season will end.
- Though it was a bit stressful, a 1-0 win over the Phillies shows how this Brewers team has been built.
- Monday: Giants @ Brewers | 5:10 PM
- Tuesday: Brewers @ Pirates | 5:35 PM
- Wednesday: Brewers @ Pirates | 5:35 PM
- Thursday: Brewers @ Pirates | 11:35 AM
- Friday: Cubs @ Brewers | 7:10 PM
- Saturday: Cubs @ Brewers | 6:10 PM
- Sunday: Cubs @ Brewers | 1:10 PM
Statistics courtesy of Baseball-Reference and FanGraphs.